Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Wrangler 2 door sport, automatic. Got in ‘17 with 44K on it from one previous owner. Ever since I got it, on the highway, it will bounce out of overdrive just going up a slight incline, or if driving into a head wind. It’ll only shift back into overdrive when I ease back on the gas, going downhill, or if I’m driving with a tail wind. Tranny went on me first at 78K, had it rebuilt, same shifting issues on highway, and now went on me again at 135K almost 2 years later. Having it rebuilt again now, the shop said there was a major part failure with the “planetary” piece. I feel the constant shifting issue on the highway is the culprit, but how do I address it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you have big tires on stock gearing?

(I've never had an auto but I assume big tires on stock gears would be a cause of this, I may be wrong though)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That AT does that if you don’t have enough gearing. What’s your tire size? What’s your axle ratio?

·
Retired Moderator
102,601 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I added this transmission cooler to my 2010 several years ago. I have 4:10 gears and 33" A/T tires so effective ratio of 3.99. I also use the superchips tuner, 93 octane tune. Gives me just enough to keep it in overdrive on highway. Gets way better gas mileage to compensate for the premium fuel and avoids that constant down shifting. The cooler is a must for longevity on that old 4 speed. "2007-2011" That's why mopar came out with it. Real clean install.

Jeep Wrangler JK Transmission Oil Coolers by Mopar Factory - AllMoparParts.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts