Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying my first Jeep. Can't choose between the used 2011-2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Heard the 2011 have electrical problems (TIPM) and the 2012 have brake problems, any owners of those cars have experienced those problems? Are they reliable and worth purchasing?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
We had a 2011 for over 3 years, put about 100,000 miles on it. We had one problem with the transmission, that was repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 2012 overland with 130k miles. I recently replaced the alternator and TCM module. The TCM module probably failed when I did some light offroading. Very easy repair... but its around 300 to buy.

Alternator is stupid expensive.. around 400 I think.

Overall, vehicle is a solid ride and the comfort and perks are awesome. Gives me a change from my 05 Tj.

They say the 2011 and 2012 have the more reliable transmission.. not to mention the safer shifter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The TPIM and Fuel Pump relay are recalled and replaced tor free. If I remember, there are only 3 recalls on tte vehicle, most I think were minor like the vanity mirror wiring. You can look it all up.

Even after my recent alternator and TCM failures, I still view the vehicle in a positive light.

knock on wood.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Wife had a 2012 overland, needed a water pump. When the did it they got sloppy with the hoses. Meaning another warranty repair a few months later.
Just replaced with a 2017. Coming up on warranty mileage, that and someone's foot and a Hemi were lower the MPG rating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts