Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought the vehicle 1 week ago (2011 3.8L V6 Automatic Jeep Wrangler Sport) it has 108k kms on the clock, runs amazing but started to make knocking noise this morning when accelerating and decelerating but more persistent towards the afternoon. I have a video recording of the sound but am unsure how to attach it to the post.

I used a stethoscope while it was idling at 1000rmp in park with handbrake on. Nothing spectacular around the lifter covers, exhaust manifold, top of the block or on the front of the block. However when listening around the bell housing in the general bell housing of the ring gear and started the noise is very prominent, much more so than anywhere else on the engine.

Turned the key from off to on 3 times with no fault codes on the dash, no engine fault lights are illuminated on the dash, no warning light for oil level present, oil level is within the higher end of the safezone on the dipstick, no oil leaks, water leaks, no pressure at oil filler cap or dipstick and cooler system seems okay.

Any Jeep gurus out there with some ideas 馃檹馃徎 I鈥檓 hedging my bets on a sticky bendix running engaged on the fly wheel ring gear, does anyone have any suggestions... I鈥檓 one week into owning my first Jeep, don鈥檛 have lots of money to wast and don鈥檛 want this adventure to turn into a nightmare!

Registered
It鈥檚 not the heat shield on the exhaust Y pipe rattling is it? That is very common on all 3.8L Wranglers. Check that the welds that hold the heat shield are all still attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts