Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep was the recent victim of Sandy. It sat in the garage of my beach home with 27" of water. The water went just over the lip of the door sill. I pulled the battery as soon as I got there. The carpet was wet on the inside, but that is about it..

Any idea of what parts might have been damaged due to being under water for 24 hours? There must be water in the exhaust, but the breathers for the X-fer case, diffs and manual trans seem to be high enough that they did not see water. There does not seem to be any sensors, expect for the ABS's, that were low enough to see water.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Have you started it? Is it throwing any codes? What has our Insurance company said about it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would say "No parts have been damaged". Change your oil and diff fluids.
No Harm, no foul.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah, according to Jeep, the stock JK can ford 30 inches of water with no damage. I'd say you're ok. Change the fluids for some peace of mind.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My TJ Sahara was under 12 feet of salt water overnight from Sandy. As someone who is now jeep-less for the first time in about 12 years, I'd say spray it down, get in and drive.

Back to the search for me...another TJ...JK pre '12...pony up for '12....?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yeah, according to Jeep, the stock JK can ford 30 inches of water with no damage. I'd say you're ok. Change the fluids for some peace of mind.
Fording water, however, is different from sitting in sea water. The Jeep can drive through a river, but being submerged in salt for 24+ hours isn't the same. Anything electrical soaking in the salt water will be damaged.

My mother's Subaru Forester can also ford water, and the water went just above the door sills (the carpets were soaked) during Sandy, just like the OP's jeep. And yet, the Subaru was dead. We could never get it to start after that and it was totaled by the insurance company. They said it was a matter of time before everything underneath rusted out.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Fording water, however, is different from sitting in sea water. The Jeep can drive through a river, but being submerged in salt for 24+ hours isn't the same. Anything electrical soaking in the salt water will be damaged.

This. A week in rainwater is nothing compared to two hours in salt water. Ionization destroys ferrous metals and electrical connections.

Anytime I see someone drive their vehicle through the ocean surf, I cringe.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The jeep's electricals are mostly sealed and connections have rubber grommets to seal them so it'll fare much better than any other vehicle underwater. That being said it could be perfectly fine, in which case just change oil, diff fluid, tranny fluid, and transfer case fluid. It also could be damaged and would most likely pop codes. You are lucky tho that it wasn't completely underwater

·
Registered
336 Posts
Though I believe in Jeep, if it were mine I'd be hoping it was totalled just for piece of mind not knowing the the thing is gonna turn into a rust bucket in two years.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Lots of cases of vehicles catching fire that have "seemingly no damage" after being partially flooded during the hurricane.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts