Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I just bought a 2011 Sahara Tan JK unlimited, they pretty much gave it away to me so I could not pass on the offer.

Its a sport with the power package and even though it comes with nice wheels I would like to replace them for something else:

I want to get some matte black wheels, either 16s or 17s with some 33" tires. Can you guys show me a good combo, the car will mainly be drivin on the street with some off road use here and there but I would like to get a beefier looking tire. I am pretty clueless right now.

Here are the wheels I want:
Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

can you guys show me some tires that are beefy and will fit without any headaches. Thanksss:punk::punk:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I like those wheels! They should fit fine with a set of 33's. If you want, you could get a set of wheel spacers to give it a wider stance and make sure you have no rubbing. Whats the backspacing on those wheels?

Oh and your shopping cart says "empty" when i open the link.

Also keep in mind, that the bigger size wheel you get, the more expensive the tire is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like those wheels! They should fit fine with a set of 33's. If you want, you could get a set of wheel spacers to give it a wider stance and make sure you have no rubbing. Whats the backspacing on those wheels?

Oh and your shopping cart says "empty" when i open the link.

Also keep in mind, that the bigger size wheel you get, the more expensive the tire is.
thanks for the advice,

after a bit of research I think im going to order these on monday. I just want to make sure that there are no headaches with rubbing or anything like that

wheels:
Black Rock Steel Wheel 942s Type D 16x8" 5x5 Bolt Pattern Back Spacing 5" BR-942685050

tires:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/goodyear-duratrac-tire-gt-312005027.html

·
Registered
472 Posts
thanks for the advice,

after a bit of research I think im going to order these on monday. I just want to make sure that there are no headaches with rubbing or anything like that

wheels:
Black Rock Steel Wheel 942s Type D 16x8" 5x5 Bolt Pattern Back Spacing 5" BR-942685050

tires:
Thats a nice setup.

However, 5" backspacing might get you a little minor rubbing...but it might not. It all just depends on the wheel and tire, but since your tire is 11.22" wide, you shouldn't have issues. 4.5" is usually the ideas BS on an aftermarket wheel. And like I said, a wheel spacer will get you that wider stance and fix any rubbing (most likely none).

Good luck, and post pics when its done!

·
Registered
283 Posts
thanks for the advice,

wheels:

tires:
Make sure you know what you're doing with steel wheels. Some folks will disagree with me here, but steel is heavier than alloys, increases the unsprung weight of the Jeep, adds a bit more strain to the drivetrain, impacts gas mileage, and they are prone to rust over time, depending on your region.

They are great offroad, because if you damage them on rocks you can beat them back into shape, reseat your bead and drive home. They are also dirt cheap compared to similar sized alloys.

For a daily driver, I've stayed with alloys. If I could, I would have two sets of tires and wheels - one set of mild all-terrain on alloys for daily driving and a set of obnoxious mud/rock tires on cheap steelies for offroad. Not likely to happen, but it would be ideal.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
anybody have any experience with Rebel Racing wheels?

Im about to order these for the jeep

Rebel Racing Wheels
Those look nice! I have 4.5" backspacing with my 33x11.5's and rub rear fender lip when the rear articulates without lift. I know tysalem has 3.75" backspacing with 33x12.5's and he says he doesn't rub. The stock alloy wheels I believe are 6" BS.

If you go between 3.75" and 4.5" BS you should be good to go. :punk:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have 3.75 BS procomp 15" wheels with 33-12.5 Wrangler MT/R's (kevlar), and they ate my fenders for lunch...

check the ACTUAL size of the tires, and if you wheel hard, they'll most likely rub. No issues at all on the street or light to normal wheeling, but if you go out there jeepin it like you stole it, you might consider a fender chop ;)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have 3.75 BS procomp 15" wheels with 33-12.5 Wrangler MT/R's (kevlar), and they ate my fenders for lunch...

check the ACTUAL size of the tires, and if you wheel hard, they'll most likely rub. No issues at all on the street or light to normal wheeling, but if you go out there jeepin it like you stole it, you might consider a fender chop ;)
My A/T's sound like a motorboat when they rub, but only roughed the edge of the rear fenders a little. I have been debating a lift or flat fenders and just changed my mind again towards a lift. I can't stand the stock front fenders appearance and bouncing around but 33's will likely look hideous with flat fenders and lift combined.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My A/T's sound like a motorboat when they rub, but only roughed the edge of the rear fenders a little. I have been debating a lift or flat fenders and just changed my mind again towards a lift. I can't stand the stock front fenders appearance and bouncing around but 33's will likely look hideous with flat fenders and lift combined.

that's the flattie look at stock height :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts