Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I did search, but I'm using the Ipad app which has limited search options and nothing came up. Also, I know this is a personal preference and I'll probably get 50/50 one way or the other, but still...

I'd be interested to hear *why* you chose either a 2 or 4 door JK. I'm buying a JK at the end of the month and I'm torn on which way to go. I've laid out some pros and cons of each but I'm wondering if I've forgotten anything or if there's anything I haven't thought of just because this'll be my first Jeep. Well, I drove a lightly lifted Volvo, I mean Cherokee, several years ago, but I don't really count that.

Thanks for the info!

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
I got the 2-door 2011 Sport because I liked the size of it. The rear seat bench is easily folded up or removed for extra space if I need it, but if I'm carrying passengers the front passenger seat moves all the way up to the windshield to make entry and egress much easier than in a 2-door car. Not as easy as four doors, granted. But the 2-door fits four full-grown adults very easily, unlike my previous car, an Eclipse that had rear "seats" that were almost impossible to get into, and definitely impossible to be comfortable in unless you happened to be an amputee.

It has an amazing turning radius and it's a breeze to parallel park. It's also quite a bit cheaper, which was one of the biggest reasons for me. In addition to the purchase price, if you want to buy aftermarket doors or something along those lines, you're paying less for two doors than four.

There are plenty of benefits to the Unlimited as well. I'll leave that to an Unlimited owner. :)

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
I got the 2 door because I have no need for a 4 door, so why spend more for something I didn't need? The dealership was pushing the 4 door really hard, though. The salesman was almost disappointed I didn't want the 4 door.
I also like the looks of the 2 door more. I like the smaller wheelbase and turning radius. I really like the compact size of the 2 door as well.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I just think the 2 door looks more like what a Jeep should look at. Not knocking the 4 door at all but when I was looking at them the 4 door just looked more like a Cherokee then a classic jeep look. But the nice thing about a Jeep is, it is personal and you make it your own no matter which you get.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got a 4 door and I love it. The reasons for choosing it were simple for me. First I enjoy driving, I hate being the guy who needs to be picked up or driven home. So the 4 door allows me to easily take up to 4 other people without anyone climbing over any seats. Second, IMO the 4 door looks better. Sure, I get jokes all the time about it not being a real jeep. But I have found most of these people don't even have a jeep so who cares. Also as far as the turning radius, I can't compare because I have not driven a 2 door but compared to my old full size f250. This thing is amazing I feel like I can fit anywhere and turn on a dime.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeffk42 said:
It's also quite a bit cheaper, which was one of the biggest reasons for me. In addition to the purchase price, if you want to buy aftermarket doors or something along those lines, you're paying less for two doors than four.
That is definitely a big one. I'm paying cash and if I get a 2dr, I'll have enough left over to pretty much do everything I want done to it (for now anyway) right away. Whereas the 4dr is basically gonna take everything I have to spend just to get the Jeep.

But coming from a Ford Ranger, I know how much it sucks when you always have to ride in someone else's car if a group of four or so friends want to go hiking or camping or even just "out" and only take one car. But otherwise, it's just me and my dog and the thought of putting him alone way back in the cargo area (instead of right behind me) sucks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
We have the JKU. I like the looks of it a little better than the 2 door, but mainly it was the ease of the kids getting in the back and I wanted more room for hunting gear

·
Registered
179 Posts
My main reason was the kiddo. Always got tired of lifting the seat for him to get in the back. Now it's easy when I grab him and his friends for them to all pile in. Also nice too when we all go out camping. I can fit 5 people and all of our gear and split gas versus taking multiple vehicles

·
Registered
43 Posts
When its just me and my dog I have to admit that the back seats are laying down. That way she can be right there with me

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
But coming from a Ford Ranger, I know how much it sucks when you always have to ride in someone else's car if a group of four or so friends want to go hiking or camping or even just "out" and only take one car. But otherwise, it's just me and my dog and the thought of putting him alone way back in the cargo area (instead of right behind me) sucks.
That's a downside -- four people is one thing, but four people with a weekend's worth of camping gear, well I guess that depends on what style of campers they are. :) On the other hand, there's always roof rack or trailer options for that. And if I'm honest with myself, that scenario accounts for less than 1% of my vehicle needs. But everyone's needs are different.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I recommend 2dr! I picked JK over JKU because I like the looks of a JK a lot better. I do sometimes wish I had more room to store stuff, especially windows and upper half door windows. Once I put that stuff behind my seat theres no more room back there so most of the time I leave windows in the garage but it would be nice to be able to haul all that stuff around. You probly wont notice much difference in turning radius.

·
Registered
179 Posts
jeffk42 said:
That's a downside -- four people is one thing, but four people with a weekend's worth of camping gear, well I guess that depends on what style of campers they are. :) On the other hand, there's always roof rack or trailer options for that. And if I'm honest with myself, that scenario accounts for less than 1% of my vehicle needs. But everyone's needs are different.
Def true about the types of campers. I'm trying to teach my gf about ULTRALIGHT backpacking. Lol

Mostly will come down to needs. Do you often haul people around? Have kids? Plan on having them in the near future? It's hell to put a car seat in a 2 door. If you don't need the space go with the cheaper and mod it the way you want it and be in your budget. Just my .02

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Heh Heh, you're gonna love this-I got the JKU, because----

----------------I hate stingers---------------------------

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JIMBOX said:
:D Heh Heh, you're gonna love this-I got the JKU, because----

----------------I hate stingers---------------------------

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO
Lol, I'm such a noob, I'm not even sure what that means. As in those front-bumper things? What are those even for, by the way. I love in downtown Atlanta so I think of them as bum-catchers!

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
To me, it comes down to whether you want to Jeep with:

JK: 2 people + gear
JKU: 5 people + gear
Sure, if that's the only thing you care about. :) But like what's been said above, there's much more to consider than that, if you're not carrying 5 people every day.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We always wanted a Wrangler but needed more load space. For us the JKU was perfect. It all comes down to what you want to do with your Jeep and how much you can afford to spend. Purists tend to prefer the 2DR as being far more "Jeep-like". Ultimately it depends on what you need, like, and can afford.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts