Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2011 2 door 6 speed it's stock with factory wheels and tires. You have to give it a lot of gas for it to go. To me it lacks power. Is that normal? If you give it a lot of gas it pulls good. So I'm hoping that there's not a problem and I just and I have to get used to it. Do you guys recommend any modifications for more horsepower like k&n air intake? Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Think Tractor. Our Jeeps are not sports cars. They will go anywhere, just not terribly fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a K&N Cold Air Intake, JET Stage II Computer chip and a full magnaflow exhaust on my 2011 unlimited Sahara, with those upgrades it still takes a decent amount of gas for it to really get going, mine is an automatic though, I'm not sure if that makes a difference, also with it being a 4 door and not a 2 door I'm not sure if that makes a difference either, when it does finally get going it does pull hard, to me it still lacks power too, I wouldn't see why a K&N Intake or any other upgrades would be a bad thing to do but I don't know if it would make a dramatic difference, I bought my jeep with these upgrades so I couldn't tell the difference between stock vs. upgraded, I think it's probabaly something that you just have to get used too. I'm used to being around 800hp+ big block V8's so I'm not sure I'll ever really get used to it, best of luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Intake and exhaust won't do anything without a different tune. Even then, it's a few horsepower. Not worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Are you sure you are on stock sized tires? Double check.
Your other posts states you have a 2.5" lift, so stock tires on that large of a lift would look goofy. If you have larger tires, a regear is most likely what you're in search of.
As noted, a Jeep is a heavy, flat faced off-road vehicle, speed wasn't in the build criteria.
I have a 3.8 and while they are not a powerhouse, I find the 3.8 with 4:10s on stock tires very good, given the above considerations.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Look into regearing if you think you need more power. But bottom line is our Jeeps are equipped with a mini van engine. The 3.6 has a bit more power. I love mine, but I'm in no mad rush to get anywhere.

Wear the sticker with pride, and a laugh in your heart.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I just bought a 2011 2 door 6 speed it's stock with factory wheels and tires. You have to give it a lot of gas for it to go. To me it lacks power. Is that normal? If you give it a lot of gas it pulls good. So I'm hoping that there's not a problem and I just and I have to get used to it. Do you guys recommend any modifications for more horsepower like k&n air intake? Thanks
Normal. I wouldn't do the K&N. The only thing that helps with my 3.8 is having a manual trans., 2dr. and 4.10's.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Funny. I had a 3.8L Town and Country minivan and my 3.8L 2011 JKUR at same time. That van was no slug! I regeared the Jeep to 5.38. Van was still waaay quicker.

Look into regearing if you think you need more power. But bottom line is our Jeeps are equipped with a mini van engine. The 3.6 has a bit more power. I love mine, but I'm in no mad rush to get anywhere.

Wear the sticker with pride, and a laugh in your heart.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Isn't the 3.6 now the engine used in Chrysler minivans?

It's not uncommon for companies to use engines across multiple platforms.

Yes the 3.8 is underpowered compared to the 3.6.

Compared to a Ford 3.0 in a Ford Ranger, it's a beast, though.

It all depends on your perspective.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah stock tires 255/75/17, thanks for everyone getting back to me. I just wanted to make sure it was normal. I had a 98 4.0 and it seemed to have more power then the 11. Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts