Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there installed a transmission temperature gauge and if so are there any instructions as to where the sensor is on the transmission to tap into I'm thinking of installing a trans temp on my 2011 Wrangler JK.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I second that question but I got a 2013 with the W5A580 trans though. They say to check the ATF fluid level when the transmission is at a specific temperature.

I wounder if you can read it with a OBD scan tool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Subscribe

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
I second that question but I got a 2013 with the W5A580 trans though. They say to check the ATF fluid level when the transmission is at a specific temperature.

I wounder if you can read it with a OBD scan tool.
Some can some can't. I took a meat thermometer attached it to the end of a long zip-tie and read it that way on my Liberty. Then I use the Dorman dipstick to get the level and compare it to a chart. To confirm I was doing it right I had it double checked by a tech friend at a Jeep dealership. You can make a dipstick with a long zip tie, and mark it in 5mm increments from the bottom up to 90mm. It will work for the NAG1.

As it turns out the NAG1 chart has about a 10mm spread from a high fill to a low fill reading as per the chart. There are a few how to videos on it, and some good info on the web about it.

If you need help PM me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am installing the two new MaxTow White face Gauges, I have all of the wires run, very easy to read instructions, Red to Constant Power, White to Switched Power, Orange to your Head Lights, and Black of course to non-painted metal ground.

I hooked up it all up last night after running the last wire and installing the inline fuse. Works perfectly.
The only item I have left and came to the forum for was to find out if anyone know the size of the bolt for the test port on the Automatic Trans.

I wasn't to tap directly into the trans because I have been told that there is about a 40 degree tempter reading difference then if you install the tee fitting.
The cool thing is that I can install the tee fitting even in the rubber line without needing to ground out the sensor like other gauges require you to do, (this is what I have found in some of the forum guys so don't chew me a new one here if that is not the case).

So does anyone know what size these test port bolts are?

·
Registered
844 Posts
In older transmissions like the one in my truck it is preferable to add the temp sensor in the line out to the trans cooler so you measure the hottest temp of your fluid. Newer transmissions have a thermostat built in that cuts flow to the trans cooler until the proper temp is reach (around 170 degrees) so you will not have any readings below that temp. In a newer transmission a temp sensor would be better placed in the pan or in a test port if you can find one IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts