Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm sure you get this a lot but I couldn't find a sure-fire answer through my searching so I thought I would pose it to the experts (you guys). Apologizing in advance for the noob questions. Right now I have a pretty much stock (aside from a lightbar and KC lights) 2011 JK. I've come to love the tires on the next step-up Rubicons and want to add something similar to my JK.

1) Any idea if it's cheaper to go with the rubicon stock tires or a tire that's similar in tread? I'm going to need tire and wheel.

2) What am I looking at for a price range? Ideally I would like to spend no more than $1500 for all 5 wheels but that may be and probably is wishful thinking.

3) Can my stock 2011 JK take a wheel like that without a lift/any other upgrades? I'm not a mechanical person by any means (Trying to learn) and am not sure if things like suspension/break pads would go hand in hand with upgrading wheels. Will I notice a huge difference in mileage or anything of that sort?

Thanks a ton in advance for any help,
Ryan

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your least expensive option if you want Rubicon like Wheels and tires is go onto Craigslist and look for some take-offs, where someone has upgraded to 33's or 35's and is now selling their original wheels/tires. I imagine it would save you a considerable amount of money.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The Firestone mud rover looks pretty similar. You could always get the new version of the mud tire that came on the rubicons. They are actually a little quieter and a little better off road. That's the BFG mud terrain KM2(the km is stock on rubis)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up clvn, I'll start looking. Was doing a little more digging, is the 2011 Rubicon Tire on the same wheel as the 2011 Wrangler sport Tire? Looks like then I wouldn't need to replace the wheel after all but just merely 5 tires.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
RBuchanio said:
Thanks for the heads up clvn, I'll start looking. Was doing a little more digging, is the 2011 Rubicon Tire on the same wheel as the 2011 Wrangler sport Tire? Looks like then I wouldn't need to replace the wheel after all but just merely 5 tires.
Yup basically the same rim. Sometimes a very slightly different finish but to me it looks the same and measurement wise it's the same

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Firestone mud rover looks pretty similar. You could always get the new version of the mud tire that came on the rubicons. They are actually a little quieter and a little better off road. That's the BFG mud terrain KM2(the km is stock on rubis)
Not a bad option. Does seem to have that "Rubicon" tire feel to it. Guess I posted right after ya' but it seems I can get away with my stock wheel and just replace the tire to either the ones you mentioned or the rubicon bfg's? Thanks for the input. :)

Edit: posted at the same time as you again! Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Rubicon wheels are 17", but the Saraha's come with 18" wheels... you can get the same tire in lots of different sizes, and the 32" tire that is spec on the Rubicons will fit any Wrangler. It's only when you start going bigger that you will have to make changes (even on a Rubi).

·
Registered
7 Posts
33's on my JKU Sport look fantastic and drive well.

The stock wheels are the Rubicon rims, but the bigger rubber makes a difference. But, you need to make adjustments to prevent rubbing.

I was all in for about $1300.

·
Registered
727 Posts
33x12.5x15 duratracs with wheels should be in your price range, with the various discounts from dtd. There are a million threads about those floating around. Aggressive looking tire, apparently great on the road too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgive me because I'm mechanically inept, heh.

Stock wheels on a 2011 Sport S should fit a Rubicon type tire with no rubbing issues? That seems to be the overwhelming conclusion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
RBuchanio said:
Forgive me because I'm mechanically inept, heh.

Stock wheels on a 2011 Sport S should fit a Rubicon type tire with no rubbing issues? That seems to be the overwhelming conclusion?

Thanks!
If they're both 17" then they will fit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, any suggestions on a "beefer" tire than the standard rubi tire? Thinking about it now I kind of want to give my Jeep that "stocky look". Wish I had the $$ for new wheels and tires and a lift, but that cost seems to be astronomical especially adding in install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts