Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Superchip (not yet available for 2011) but when ready says it can make your Jeep lock up in 4hi, why wouldn't Jeep let me do this straight off the lot? Is it so you don't drive around the street with em locked? I think it would be great for mud and sand. Just wondering. I'd like to have that option.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Yes, it's a "protect the driver from his own stupidity" setting.

4L has a top speed of something like 18 mph. If you can go faster than that, you generally don't need lockers or the excess stress they put on other components.

So the easy, non-chip workaround is simply to use 4L. I've begun doing just about all my offroading in 4L. Just starting in 3rd gear and upshifting from there feels about similar to starting in 1st in 4H. On top of that, you get the anti-stall feature if you hit any inclines. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I don't know though I guess it is to protect from driving at high speed but I love being able to lock in 4hi. Having an aftermarket locker, I can lock in any transfer case gear. I rarely drop into 4lo myself. Plus I don't need to worry about forgetting the locker is on. I really like driving locked in 4hi besides if I forget to turn it off and drive on any surface that is hard the lockers tell me TURN ME OFF when the steering wheel won't turn very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here in S. Texas we have a beach that runs almost 90 miles of very loose sand, so on the Rubi if the diff. is not locked are they just an open diff.? That would not work for running down the beach vs a limited slip diff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts