Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranna makes noises especially on ye trail in 4 low if I'm crawlin it sounds like there is slop in the gears and it sloshes back and forth and hits metal to metal. Kind of sound. Or like a rough bearing sound on slow take offs on the road . Anyone else have a chattery tranny?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I was just asking because some folks don't expect it. When in 4LO, if you're not real steady, you can hear the shafts "taking up slack" (not technical but it's like a bumping sound, and it doesn't sound "bad" it sounds "solid")

It's more noticeable with the top and doors off I reckon. I hardly could hear it in my XJ before, more muffled sounding. In the JK there's lots of whirring in 4LO, but it's normal, goes away when you shift out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More so. When starting off slow/low rpm. You hear like a metallic gears clinking kinda noise. Or barrings but as soon as your up to like 900 rpm + it's gone... Would that be the crank or somthin bitching? Never had that happen on my old 350 with a 4 speed Manuel . Maybe cuz of the weaker 3.8L?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts