Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions, How my miles should I have before I can drive it like I stole it? How my miles should I go before first oil change, after first oil change should I go to a synthetic oil?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Couple of questions, How my miles should I have before I can drive it like I stole it? How my miles should I go before first oil change, after first oil change should I go to a synthetic oil?
This is one of those :pop:questions, but I'll tell you what I'm doing with our 2011.

It's killing me, but I'm leaving the factory fill in there for 3000 miles. A colleague of mine that has worked in the industry and visited with most of the major oil guys tells me that there are likely additives in the factory fill designed to "plate out" and kind of season the engine internals... and that this process may take the 3k miles. I know that's a lot of "mays", but I figure there's very little downside. Again it's killing me, because I traditionally would have dumped the factory fill by now.

At 3k, I'm switching to Mobil-1 5W20 (5W20 versus some other weight, so there are no warranty questions later) and a Napa Gold oil filter which is made by Wix.

Hope you're enjoying your Jeep -- we are!

·
Banned
139 Posts
I waited 300 miles before switching to Mobil One synthetics and a Wix filter. At 45K now, it still purrs like a kitten and runs like new.

"Break-in oils" are a thing of the past. Modern engines no longer require special treatment when new. When I did change the oil, it looked NASTY, and I'm glad I didn't run it longer than 300 miles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Directly from the 2010 Wrangler Owner's Manual, page 75:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil
changes should be consistent with anticipated climate
conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For
the recommended viscosity and quality grades refer to
“Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.
NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL
OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.
Mabar

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Its amazing the things they put in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This sentence from the owner's manual is interesting:

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.
For many, many years, I was always under the impression that you should go easy on the gas, easy on the brakes and vary your speed for the first 500 miles or so.

A few years ago, I read on a motorcycle website, that lots of full throttle acceleration during the first 20 or 30 miles is desirable to really break-in the engine well.

Now I see that the Wrangler Owner's Manual recommends brief full-throttle acceleration.

Interesting.

Mabar

·
Registered
44 Posts
My volks mechanic tells me punching the gas briefly on a new motor helps "seat the piston rings". Could be true I suppose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts