Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 2 dr sahara (dark cherry red;leather ;6 speed;hard top )which is beautiful and runs very well.much nicer ride than the 2007 Sahara i traded

When i open the door locks using the remote, the headlights come on for about 15 sec.if I start the Jeep sooner than the 15 sec they go off at the time of starting.

My question is whether their is a way of disabling the headlights from going on for the short duration when you open the car using the remote.The local dealer says this is a built in safety feature and thats the way it is .i did not find anything in the expanded owners manualthat discussed the subject or mentioned how to change it.

Does anyone have any different experience or information.

thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does anyone with a 2011 have the same experience with the headlights coming on for 15 sec when you open the door with the remote
I have a 2011 Sport.. and Yes, I also have the headlights coming on when I press the unlock button.

I tried using the programming feature on the remote entry key to turn off the flashers, but that feature does not also turn off the headlights.

So, it seems like your only programming options for the remote entry key are:

- you can do a 1 click to unlocks all doors
- you can turn off the horn sounding when locking
- you can turn off the front and rear lights from flashing when locking/unlocking

BUT... it seems that you can't turn off the headlights - well.. at least, I have not found a way to do that :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is exactly what the dealer has told me--the only possibility is that they may be able to do it with their scan tool--its not a big deal or problem so I will probably just accept it as the way it was meant to be

Enjoy your 2011 sport

·
Registered
401 Posts
From the user guide:

PROGRAMMABLE FEATURES
Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) – If Equipped
• The EVIC can be used to program the following Personal Settings. Press and
release the MENU button until Personal Settings displays, then press the
DOWN button to scroll through the settings. Press the SELECT
button to change the setting.
• Language • Headlamp Off Delay
• Auto Door Locks • Key-Off Power Delay
• Auto UNLK On Exit • Illumination Approach
• RKE Unlock • Display Units of Measure In
• Sound Horn With RKE Lock • Hill Start Assist (HSA) — If Equipped
• Flash Lights with Remote Key Lock • Display Fuel Saver — If Equipped
Key Fob Programmable Features
• The following features may also be programmed by using the Key Fob
transmitter or the ignition switch and driver's door lock switch.
NOTE: Pressing the LOCK button while you are inside the vehicle will activate the
Vehicle Security Alarm. Opening a door with the Vehicle Security Alarm activated will
cause the alarm to sound. Press the UNLOCK button to deactivate the Vehicle
Security Alarm.
Flashing Lights With Lock
• The turn signal lights flashing, when the doors are locked or unlocked, feature
can be turned on or off. To turn this feature on or off:
• Press and hold the UNLOCK button for at least 4 seconds, but no longer
than 10 seconds. Then, press and hold the LOCK button while still holding
the UNLOCK button.
• Release both buttons at the same time.

I think the "illumination approach" option would be the one? Unfortunately I don't think you can get EVIC added as an option later.. Maybe ask the dealer about getting evic added?

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,295 Posts
I have a 2011 Sport.. and Yes, I also have the headlights coming on when I press the unlock button.

I tried using the programming feature on the remote entry key to turn off the flashers, but that feature does not also turn off the headlights.

- you can turn off the front and rear lights from flashing when locking/unlocking

BUT... it seems that you can't turn off the headlights - well.. at least, I have not found a way to do that :)
yup you are right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I found the answer--On the EVIC system under illumination approach there is a setting for the headlights going on when the remotes opens the door ranging from 0-30-60-90 sec.the default is apparently 30 sec. So it is possible to set it at 0 and then the headlights will not go on

The only question ,since I do not have the EVIC system is whether the dealer can access the same options with his scal tool which I would think is feasible.Will stop by the dealer tomorrow morning to find out

It seems like the EVIC system is merely a user version of the scan tool to set personal options--Any Comments

thanks

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
I can't really help much in addition to what has already been determined, i.e. with EVIC you can turn that feature off.

I gotta say, though... I was hoping for more functionality than what I got. There's some nice parts about it, the display is better, showing an image of the Jeep with the open doors in the "door ajar" mode, etc. The settings are nice to have, but how often would a person really change them? Probably once.

But then I look at my girlfriend's $12k 2009 Chevy HHR, and it shows the tire pressure in each tire, and in addition to average MPG it shows instant MPG, oil life, average speed, etc etc.

I would have at least appreciated the tire pressure display. But for the extra cost of the EVIC, all you're really getting is a slightly nicer display and these stupid options to set how your signals flash when you lock up. :rolleyes:

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Here's a wild thought. Have you tried reading the owner's manual? Not the paper guide, the actual owner's manual that is on the DVD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have solved the problem with a visit to the dealer--it took him 3 minutes with his Scan tool to reset the time the headlight comes on when you unlock with the remote from 30 sec to 0. So now when I unlock the doors with the remote the headlights nDO NOT come on which is my preference. Apparently the deales Scan tool can reset any of the programable preferences and you do not need the EVIC system. If I had it it would have saved a trip to the dealer but that was much cheaper than the cost of the EVIC.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have solved the problem with a visit to the dealer--it took him 3 minutes with his Scan tool to reset the time the headlight comes on when you unlock with the remote from 30 sec to 0.
Good to know that it is at least possible to do.. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, I'm waiting for a 2011 Rubicon with the Connectivity and Power packages -- is the ignition key going to be one of those fancy fobs with the "swing-out" key blade, as in you push a little button and the key comes out like a switchblade?

I think the answer is yes, and then my next question is can they code the locking gas cap to this type of key?

/jim

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey, I'm waiting for a 2011 Rubicon with the Connectivity and Power packages -- is the ignition key going to be one of those fancy fobs with the "swing-out" key blade, as in you push a little button and the key comes out like a switchblade?

I think the answer is yes, and then my next question is can they code the locking gas cap to this type of key?

/jim

no, and there is no locking gas cap unless you got the COD rubi. All of the JK keys have been the same

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hiker,

I too have a 2011 Unilimted without the Evics. You mention that you can do the things below with the Key Fob. I can seem to find those instructions. My manual only has Changing front and rear lights from flashing when locking/unlocking.

Can you post insturctions please?

Thanks
Mike
Originally Posted by Hiker

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
:whistling: It's too bad that you consider this to be a problem, it's been around for YEARS in the "BIG THREE"-

It's a great idea for a lot of men/women that approach their jeep AT NIGHT !!

I just wait till I get near the drivers door-"UNLOCK" reach in and "flicker" the light stalk--lighs go out and I can take my time doing whatever else I wanted to do __simple !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.