Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to the Phoenix area and have decided I need a more Phoenixy type vehicle while out here. My quandary is what are the biggest differences between a 2011 and a 2015 Sahara? I know the engines changed, but that doesnt bother me unless there are known issues with the 3.8L that is in the 2011s. What changed on the suspensions, ride, etc?

From a pure look and "comfort" the 2015 is more my liking, but is it worth the increase in price (~$10k).

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I thought there were known issues with the old 3.8? :rolleyes:

The interior changed too. The seats are suppose to be more comfy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
- I think the 2011 is the first year for the current interior but it might not be a bad idea to double check.
- An 2015 Unlimited X won't come with A/C standard, your Sahara will.
- Painted fenders, if that matters to you.
- The Sahara has a slightly upgraded suspension that will be softer on-road. Test drive both, see if you care.
- Personally I think the 3.8L is underpowered for the weight of the 4dr, but it is a reliable engine, the only thing that the 3.8L is known for is drinking oil. Some are worse than others. Keep an eye on your dipstick and you'll be fine.
- I believe the stock wheels/tires are different for the X vs. the Sahara.
- The X won't have power windows/doors standard. (the Sahara doesn't necessarily either in 2011)

Idk, just some things off the top of my head. Definitely drive both to see how you feel about the different suspensions.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I recently moved to the Phoenix area and have decided I need a more Phoenixy type vehicle while out here. My quandary is what are the biggest differences between a 2011 and a 2015 Sahara? I know the engines changed, but that doesnt bother me unless there are known issues with the 3.8L that is in the 2011s. What changed on the suspensions, ride, etc?

From a pure look and "comfort" the 2015 is more my liking, but is it worth the increase in price (~$10k).
Only you know your Bank Account But....... Yes.

- 4 years newer
- Full Warranty
- Known History
- Better Motor
- Better Interest Rate (if applicable)
- You pick what YOU want

So, Yes.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question - Im going to go from an 08 Impala (however have grown up driving trucks etc). What is the long term ride with a Sahara unlimited compared to say a Z71 Silverado? Test drive of a 2015 Sahara was smoother than I anticipated. Im not wanting a cadillac ride but I dont want to be beat around on a road trip.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I imagine a Full Size truck rides pretty nice, long wheel base/weight/etc. I also think they are like $60,000.

I DD a Sahara 4 Door and have taken it on many trips (and I'm old) I love the ride. I traded a 2012 Toyota 4runner Limited and think my Sahara rides better.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@RubiconSS - that is the response I was looking for. Im not looking to buy a new truck (no way my bank account would allow that). I just remember how my 2000 Silverado rode. I think Im all but decided Im going with the 2015 (I might have been wrong by calling it an X) Sahara Unlimited (its the one with the leather/Cloth seats, the 10A hood, etc).

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
@RubiconSS - that is the response I was looking for. Im not looking to buy a new truck (no way my bank account would allow that). I just remember how my 2000 Silverado rode. I think Im all but decided Im going with the 2015 (I might have been wrong by calling it an X) Sahara Unlimited (its the one with the leather/Cloth seats, the 10A hood, etc).
You will LOVE that Jeep..... I have zero doubt.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
- I think the 2011 is the first year for the current interior but it might not be a bad idea to double check.
- An 2015 Unlimited X won't come with A/C standard, your Sahara will.
- The X won't have power windows/doors standard. (the Sahara doesn't necessarily either in 2011)
I think the seats changed (again) in 2012 or 2013.

Its a 2015 Sahara X which isn't at all like the X model of the early JK years. Jeep seems to really like the name "X", and keeps re-using it.

2015 Sahara X has, at least, everything that comes on a regular Sahara.

Im going with the 2015 (I might have been wrong by calling it an X) Sahara Unlimited (its the one with the leather/Cloth seats, the 10A hood, etc).
Its correct calling it the Sahara X, which is basically the Polar Edition of past years, but with the 10A/X/HR hood added. There should be an "X" incorporated into the hood stripes, and an "X" on the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a 2011 and love it, that said a 2015 would be my first choice. But $10,000 is a lot of money to save and I have no regrets getting my 2011 two years ago.

We just bought a used Impala for my wife, better ride then I expected. I went from an F150 Lariat to my Sahara. Comparing those two the Lariat road smoother, over all, but was not as nimble or as fun to drive. It really depends on the trim level of the truck. But I've had no regret selling my F150, the Jeep is just a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts