Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Unlimited 45K miles, original factory tires, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, for some reason 1 tire is nearly worn out, I found a "new" replacement for sale.
Any issues with putting my 0 mile spare and this 0 mile tire on the rear and running them with the 45K mile tires on the front?
I realize that the diameters will be different, jeep spends majority of it's time in 2 WD running around town.

·
Registered
536 Posts
There will be an issue with tread depth and water evacuation ability. In heavy rain the higher tread depth tire will evacuate water better. This means the worn tire will hydroplane faster. When this happens in a side to side fashion it can result in instability. Is your original spare in good shape? If so I recommend getting a new one and using the spare if it has new tread and the rubber hasn't deteriorated. If you are unsure, buy two new tires and install them on the rear. Contrary to old beliefs, ALWAYS put higher tread depth tires in the rear, especially on a rear wheel drive vehicle. Then plan to get two more matching tires at time you would rotate. This makes it easier for those on a budget to get four new tires while spacing out the expense.

I do highly recommend, if you are able to do so, determine the reason for the quick tire wear and replace all four tires at the same time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smitty, thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I would like to do, use my 0 mile spare along with the 0 mile tire I will buy on the rear axle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just reread your post. I guess a simple, "You are on the right track", would have sufficed. Lol, I need to read better or quit trying to do this from my phone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts