Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in need of a new soft top for my 4 door wrangler 2011, I’ve been reading a lot online and can’t seem to find straight answers or reviews. Not trying to break the bank on a new one. Please any advice from you all and what you have gone with would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I'd look for a mopar premium take off from a new jeep. I really like mine and the price was reasonable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a Smittybilt replacement from ExtremeTerrain. Took a long time to install but its decent quality and a decent price. I actually have an extra replacement top still in the box they sent me by mistake.

·
Premium Member
7,131 Posts
Having purchased my TJ with a replacement top and having installed two replacements after that, here is my take.

I would never under any circumstances let a Smittybilt top near my TJ again. That is what was on it when I purchased it in May and by August it was leaking and the rear window zipper would not stay zipped on the highway. When I met the original owner a month later at a Scouting event and mentioned replacing the top he commented that it was only two years old, "but was a budget top".

If you plan to keep your Jeep for a good number of years yet, IMHO there is only one, the Bestop Replace-A-Top (aka RAT). The difference in fabric between the RAT I purchased in 2014 and the "budget top" I took off was distinct.

In 2018, I was going to have some minor body work done on my TJ and have the entire Jeep repainted to repair small nicks and ding from 15 years on the road. My OEM top frame was in poor condition so I was going with a frameless top. I was looking seriously at the Quadratec top so I called them with some questions. As part of the conversation, I asked if he was putting one on his Jeep, what would he go with and he did not hesitate to say Bestop. Their house brand competes on price level but the standard is Bestop. (It is also who makes the OEM tops and has for decades).

When I took my top off, after four years the fabric was still in good condition, the windows not scratched or foggy. If the frame had been in good shape it would have gone back on. I could not bring myself to throw that top out, so put it in storage. Later in a TJ posting a member was wanting an inexpensive replacement and I boxed up my 4 year old RAT with windows, 15 year old TG bar and clips and sent it to him in return for him paying the postage.

Your original top has lasted 8 years which is about average for the standard top (twill will last longer but is more expensive).

Since you are a Wrangler Forum member, call Quadratec and get a quote as they offer discounts to WF members. (They are a supporting vendor).
https://www.quadratec.com/products/11132_063X_PG.htm

You can also PM Samarkham76 to compare locations. If not, maybe he has a box large enough he can roll up the top and send it to you in exchange for the shipping cost (and maybe a little more). If he was like me, he just can't bring himself to toss a perfectly good top in the trash. If your frame is in good shape, all you need is the fabric and windows. Just make sure his is a 2010 or later top so it will fit right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts