Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to shed some light on acquiring your radio code if you unplug your unit, and plug it back in, or want to sell your unit to someone.

The jeep dealership will tell you that you have to bring the jeep and an ID up to the dealership, and provide the VIN# and let them plug the unit in to a wytek programmer for $90.00. THIS IS TOTALLY INCORRECT

After fighting with 5 dealerships over the phone and explaning to them that they were wrong, the solution (i tried at 2 separate dealerships to confirm) is to call the PARTS department of the dealership, not service. The parts department can look up the radio code as long as you give them the VIN# of the jeep and the Serial Number shown on the security code screen. Did this all on the phone, and didn't have to provide anything.

Just wanted to lend some valuable information to you guys, as this is a shady way for the dealership to grip $100.00 from you for doing NOTHING.

If they tell you otherwise tell them they are wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I printed out a sheet with 1200 plus numbers. 3124 is my code. I went through 472 codes to get to that. Chrysler Corporate said my story was sad but I would still have to pay the dealer for it. Unless someone else lists their codes I can't say if numbers repeat.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,003 Posts
I printed out a sheet with 1200 plus numbers. 3124 is my code. I went through 472 codes to get to that. Chrysler Corporate said my story was sad but I would still have to pay the dealer for it. Unless someone else lists their codes I can't say if numbers repeat.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dealer gave me my code for free. I sold the radio. Gave the dealer my VIN and serial # of the radio and he gave me the code. Everything worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radio Code

It varies from dealership to dealership, and i have had to get this code a few times, but ive found the easiest way is to call the Parts department and give them the VIN# and radio serial number and they are usually pretty quick about it.

When it boils down to it, you bought the car from them, so you own it, they have no right to withhold the code from you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My dealer charged me $10 to look up the code. They claim that they are charged $10 from FCA (to access the database) and just pass the charge along. Smells like BS to me.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
When it boils down to it, you bought the car from them, so you own it, they have no right to withhold the code from you.
Yes... They should supply the code. It could easily be included with all the other paperwork and documents that come with a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I just did this yesterday. Since I had read this thread, I asked the service manager, he said there is no charge to the dealership. They wouldn't do it over the phone though, they required ID and proof of ownership (ie. registration) in person.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts