Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 JKU had a major transmission line leak at 5,000 miles.

The tech said it was due to power steering line rubbing against the transmission line behind the drivers side wheel well. When he installed the new trans line he bent it away from the power steering line and applied some foam to protect it. He said had he installed it stock it would have likely rubbed through again. (Service report is below)

Below are pictures of where the leak occurs (according to my internet search this is becoming all too common on the new 2012 autos)

One picture is of the differential cover paint which was taken off from the hot trans fluid leak. (picture is upside down)

I checked the four 2012 autos on the dealer lot and 2 out of 4 were touching and will likely rub together and in my opinion may leak as well! :doh:

So check your lines and make sure they are not touching. If they are, you might want to talk to a service tech to see i they can prevent a leak.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Just went and checked mine.. no rubbing. 5900 miles but i will be installing some chafing gear on the line just in case.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As I understand it my leak was at two places- at the entry into the radiator and on the line- so as long as they are not rubbing then I would think you should be good.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Going to check mine after work before I drive home.

Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EVERYONE SHOULD SKIP LOOKING AT MY PICTURES AND JUST CHECK INSDE THEIR DRIVERS SIDE WHEEL WELL AND COMPARE TO THE ATTACHED PICTURE IN THIS POST WITH THE RED ARROW. (This pic is of another Jeep which is what yours will likely look like.)

(My service tech must have repositioned those two electrical conduits and tied them to the frame with a cable tie therefore blocking my view. Everyone else should have a clear view of the lines by pulling back the wheel well plastic shell and checking for clearance between ALL THREE LINES THERE.)

Attachments

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
709 Posts
Thanks for the info and awesome Illustration with pics. I will check mine the next chance I get.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Checked mine carefully. The lines are not even close to rubbing. I can get a full finger width or more in the space all the way along.

Must be the luck of the draw and who assembled what on which day......

Edit: I should add that I found it much easier to stick your hand in there and feel along each line. I couldn't see much of anything. It's really crowded in there. Those conduits are in the way!

...My service tech must have repositioned those two electrical conduits and tied them to the frame with a cable tie therefore blocking my view. ...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked mine carefully. The lines are not even close to rubbing. I can get a full finger width or more in the space all the way along.

Must be the luck of the draw and who assembled what on which day......

Edit: I should add that I found it much easier to stick your hand in there and feel along each line. I couldn't see much of anything. It's really crowded in there. Those conduits are in the way!
Hmmm, that is weird that your conduits ARE in the way.

Hopefully it isn't a big issue, but better safe than sorry.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Hmmm, that is weird that your conduits ARE in the way.

Hopefully it isn't a big issue, but better safe than sorry.
It could be a very big deal! Hot auto tranny fluid leaks are a common cause of vehicle fires! Good thing it's so far forward and down low, where it's not as likely to hit hot exhaust components.....

Good info! Might save a lot of people a lot of grief! :thumb:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Went out and took a few photos of my Jeep to help out. Fortunately I don't have the rubbing issue, but I think I'm going to install a rubber wrap around the transmission line as a precaution. There's about a 1/2 inch gap between the two on my Jeep.

*edit* My jeep is a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. It's lifted, but that shouldn't affect the issue at hand.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Metonymy said:
Went out and took a few photos of my Jeep to help out. Fortunately I don't have the rubbing issue, but I think I'm going to install a rubber wrap around the transmission line as a precaution. There's about a 1/2 inch gap between the two on my Jeep.

*edit* My jeep is a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. It's lifted, but that shouldn't affect the issue at hand.
Thats what mine looks like too. Plenty of room. By the way i did have a trans line on my tj do this and spray on the exhaust. I caught it because of the smell and all the smoke in the rearview and grabbed a flatbed home. Guess i got lucky....

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
Looks like an easy fix. Great pictures, I'll forward them to a buddy of mine.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Excellent post!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts