Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Limped home last night after work. Code indicated a bad crank sensor. I picked one up to replace and found the wiring aft of the insulating loom was cooked and the copper conductors were exposed. I insulated the copper again with liquid tape (ghetto) and picked up some 3/4 insulated loom from the parts store. Zip tied the crap out of it to keep out the water. Just a heads up. Check your wires. Located on passenger side, adjacent to the bell housing, just under the engine mount.
PS: if you get down there and find the existing plastic loom is super brittle don’t push it. Everything will fall apart.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Limped home last night after work. Code indicated a bad crank sensor. I picked one up to replace and found the wiring aft of the insulating loom was cooked and the copper conductors were exposed. I insulated the copper again with liquid tape (ghetto) and picked up some 3/4 insulated loom from the parts store. Zip tied the crap out of it to keep out the water. Just a heads up. Check your wires. Located on passenger side, adjacent to the bell housing, just under the engine mount.
PS: if you get down there and find the existing plastic loom is super brittle don’t push it. Everything will fall apart.

Got the same code, found the engine wiring harness was dried out. Harness passes to close to radiator coolant tubes which can dry out the harness allowing moisture to cause severe problems. Others have had the same problem.:beerme:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Got the same code, found the engine wiring harness was dried out. Harness passes to close to radiator coolant tubes which can dry out the harness allowing moisture to cause severe problems. Others have had the same problem.:beerme:
NAPA has a harness connector repair kit for the CPS, part #: ECH EC2181

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: All was well until last Tuesday. Died at work. Towed to the shop. Its been there over a week. They replaced a 6" length of fried wires going to the drivers side cam position sensor. Tech said it was not near anything hot. So it seams, something is sending a surge through the wires to cause this issue. The verdict is that the throttle position sensor was the culprit. Not sure how this works, but they had to replace the entire throttle body to fix it. Time will tell if they are right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts