Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to find a way to keep the engine temp down in an automatic 2012+? Mishimoto's radiator is only for a manual, and Flex a Lite's is over $700. I found an obscure company in AZ with one for $200. I am also considering a vented hood. Looking for someone who has had success in keeping the engine temp. down.

What caused the heating problems:
When I had the tranny cooler line re-done under the recall- the dealer re-flashed my tranny without telling me (until I picked it up). Like many people- this changed my shifting for the worse. Now on inclines, with the slightest amount of gas- my JK drops down a couple of gears and holds the RPMs at 4000+. See video- I am at 4500+ for a solid minute. I can "manually" shift it into 4th at 3200 RPMs roughly- but it'll immediately go back into 3rd. The engine whine is like cats being dragged thru water- on their backs. In front of dogs. You can literally watch the engine temp go up with the RPMs. Its not that bad on this video- but its only 80 out. In about a month I'll be at 90+ on a daily basis. The dealer is of no help. They can't backtrack to the prior programming. And of course they blame my 4.56s- which had never been an issue in 2 years- until they screwed with it. I also ran another thread last year and there were many stock Jeeps having the same problem.
Skip to about 1:00 in when I am set-up. And sorry- you'll have to turn your head. This isn't an ideal test but you get the idea- not exactly safe so this will have to do.
https://youtu.be/wY_8t5gFyCo
Yes- I know I can just slow down. But on this same road/incline I could do 75 MPH at 3200 RPMs (holding) with NO problem prior to the re-flash. And it's not just at highway speeds. Going up the mountain where I wheel it'll do this at 35-45 MPH. And once it starts- it'll do it constantly. Last summer I had to pull over every 15 minutes because of the engine temp. On what used to be my favorite drive. Not to mention the Pentastar at 4500 RPMs sounds like its going to explode.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
So I'm kinda confused. The title talks about overheating, and you talk slightly about a new radiator. But your main focus seems to be about shift points. And rightly so, even your video focuses on the rpm's. I never saw a temp guage unless it's at the very end of the video. I wouldn't want to be driving around at 5000 rpm or so. Did you look into getting an aftermarket programmer. You state you can watch the temp go up with the rpm's so I would focus on getting those straightened out before I would look into radiators or anything like that.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I'm kinda confused. The title talks about overheating, and you talk slightly about a new radiator. But your main focus seems to be about shift points. And rightly so, even your video focuses on the rpm's. I never saw a temp guage unless it's at the very end of the video. I wouldn't want to be driving around at 5000 rpm or so. Did you look into getting an aftermarket programmer. You state you can watch the temp go up with the rpm's so I would focus on getting those straightened out before I would look into radiators or anything like that.
Sorry- trying to break it up so you didn't have to read the whole thing. Over-heating isn't a big issue with the Pentastar so I figured I'd explain why mine is over-heating. Not sure why you can't see the temp. gauge- I can see it on my end.
The very first thing I did was hit it with the Procal- no good. The dealer can't do anything. So down to trying to cool it off.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sorry- trying to break it up so you didn't have to read the whole thing. Over-heating isn't a big issue with the Pentastar so I figured I'd explain why mine is over-heating. Not sure why you can't see the temp. gauge- I can see it on my end.
The very first thing I did was hit it with the Procal- no good. The dealer can't do anything. So down to trying to cool it off.
I would try and reset the procal to stock then unhook both positive and negative cables from battery . Then hook positive cable to negative terminal for 15 min to completely reset everything. Hook it all back up and reenter settings for gears/tires etc with procal and try that . If that doesn't work then try a different dealer or demand the one who jacked it up to fix it ....call up the I am jeep number and open up a case if you have to .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts