Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah not sure on the phone button. I remember something about it not working.

On mine I have the left side buttons behind the wheel for channel up/channel down and middle button for selection of input (USB1, USB2, Sirius, etc).

On the right side behind wheel I have volume up/down and mute for the middle button. Those were all I cared to have programmed. I use the big ol' BT button on the HU for the phone.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
However I have noticed that the sub vibrates the shit out of the "sub tub" on certain songs. While I don't mind adjusting the bass on the fly with my remote bass knob for the amp, I can't stand bass induced vibrations.

The fix? Well knowledge in what is happening is the first step. In my last vehicle (2010 Ford Escape) I had sound deadened the entire vehicle. Not talking about sticking monster mat all over - real sound deadening and noise reduction.

With the Jeep I know it is not a SUV. It is not meant to be quiet. But It is also not supposed to rattle when the sub is hitting on a good song. So the fix will be some products from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com.
  • CLD tiles - To line the large flat panels in the rear and trunk.
  • CCF - to line between the "sub tub" and the metal.
Im not going anywhere near my last length of sound deadening. It would be a total waste. But lining a few CLD tiles on the flat, metal areas and CCF'ing between the plastic sides that touch the metal will eliminate the vibration from the sub.

Plus it will help eliminate the increased awareness of the vibration once the hard top goes on for the winter.

I'm picky, what can I say. I don't like things rattling from bass vibrations. I hate the clubby sound from rice rockets that crank the bass with everything rattling. I like good sounding music - not bass booming stuff. Rattles in a Jeep are fine but not to the point of this.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Lynskey - does your EVIC continue to work as before with head unit replaced? Any buttons or functions (not audio/video/BT/voice/phone related) lost when pulling out the stock HU?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ivoryring said:
Lynskey - does your EVIC continue to work as before with head unit replaced? Any buttons or functions (not audio/video/BT/voice/phone related) lost when pulling out the stock HU?
I went with the PAC jack wheel button control and the evic works fine. The only thing that I lost was the phone button. Dont use it anyway cause can't hear anything with the top off unless I stop

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I went with the PAC jack wheel button control and the evic works fine. The only thing that I lost was the phone button.
Yep same here. The PAC harness and SWI doesn't work with the Phone button. Plus my HU has a phone button. I actually programmed the wheel phone button to be the pre-selected channel selector.

programmed as follows:

Left rear button - up/down for next channel, middle button for source toggle (CD, USB, Sirius, etc)
Right rear button - up/down for volume control, middle button for mute
Phone button - Pre-Selected channel changer (toggles through 6 pre-set stations)

Menu and compass buttons are unaffected.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a PAC Steering Wheel interface box in my work Subaru going to my Alpine HU there - interestingly I was able to program some buttons on the steering wheel that are not available as buttons on the HU itself. Anyway - will definitely be getting another PAC unit for my Wrangler.

I'm glad to hear the EVIC is fully functional after the upgrade. Some thing just aren't clear before you actually get done with the work, so thanks for sharing the experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I see you are working in a real close area of the Jeep that I am. I was wondering if you/someone knows the 21 pin plug-stereo color codes for the installation of a "PAC SOEM-T" (installation instructions)http://www.installer.com/pdf/soem-t.pdf So I can incorporate the 5 wires with the PAC SOEM-T to the correct pins...I'm a novice at the new vehicles electric and am having great trouble finding any legit wiring diagrams too.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah I have no idea. Someone must have a 2012 witing diagram floating around. Looks like you need to tap into the speaker lines maybe before the amp (if you have that)...

I am good with wiring, but I usually don't tap into anything factory like that. All of my installs have been plugging in a harness adaptor and using an aftermarket HU to avoid extra items.

Do a search on your set-up for wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh yea I've been looking for a wiring diagram for weeks now and all I can seem to aquire that will allow me to simply plug my aftermarket amp to is the PAC SOEM-T but that requires you to tap 5 wires, and I'm not cutting anything I would just try to "plug" into the stock 22 pin gray plug with some nice electric accessories (back of stereo) for Left+ & - Right + & - and a remote start wire so the amp/cap. doesn't kill my battery, then I'd be perfect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got it! Finnaly did it myself, being on vaca all week and not a drop of rain resisting me from heading to the garage... I just went and kept my face in the directions and my hands with the wires. I was successfull with hooking my Capacitor, Amp, and two 12" Rockford Punch 3 subs. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lynskey, how do you like the JL C2-650's? I am drawn to these given the fit of the tweeters in the stock location. I just really don't feel like having to try to dremel out space to make something larger work. Kind of weird though that Crutchfield does not show these as being compatible with a 2012 Jeep?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Lynskey, how do you like the JL C2-650's? I am drawn to these given the fit of the tweeters in the stock location. I just really don't feel like having to try to dremel out space to make something larger work. Kind of weird though that Crutchfield does not show these as being compatible with a 2012 Jeep?
I love them. Had the same ones in my previous Escape so that is why I did them again for the Jeep. Although I had to leave them in the Escape as the tweeters were in the door cards....

I thought about going to the better C5 line but the C2 are just so easy to drop in. Literally no cutting needed on the tombstones. Sound great, handle a ton of amp power and are drop-in ready.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just did the c2 650s up front, Kenwood DNN990hd HU and Kenwood amp. I already did Kickers in the sound bar and a kicker sob, so I left those in. Sound is 10x better.

·
Registered
155 Posts
with upgraded oem system did you use the A or B Pac harness?

thx

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did JL C2-650's all around with the C2 tweeters on the dash and in my opinion, my system sounds awesome, even with the factory 130 head unit and factory sub. You can get these bad boys on the cheap from Amazon.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts