Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon will stall out at idle at random. When started the RPMs will be at 900 and then stay at 600-650 RPMs consistently. When the jeep stalls, you can feel a sputter and then the jeep dies. It has never stalled when the RPMs are above 1000... When I am driving I can put the jeep in neutral and rev the engine to about 1000 for it not to stall but can feel the sputter and drop of 400-500 RPM as if it were going to stall at idle.

This issue never happened until about a week later getting my jeep back from the jeep dealership to do the following items:
-Replace Thermostat Hosing
-Replace Coolant
-replace Radiator Cap
-Airbag Recall
-perform cooling system service
-Replace front brakes and rotors
-perform drive train service to include front and rear differentials and transfer case fluid exchange.
-replace spark plugs
-install tank additive and ran cleaner through throttle body to clean intake plenum and valves. cleaned carbon from intake system

The first time it stalled, I was in a parking spot with my car on for about an hour talking on the phone when all of a sudden the jeep sputtered and stalled.

Then I took my jeep to a local mechanic who stated the following:
-P0016 Crankshaft/Camshaft timing misalignment bank 1 sensor
-P0018 Crankshaft position/camshaft
-found oil control valve/actuators sticking when slowing down to idle.

The local mechanic said he could not do this and recommended that I go to the dealership because of a specific tool they have. Soooo I went back to the dealership and the jeep was in the shop for over a month and this is what they corrected:

-replaced oil control valve
-replaced cam phaser actuator
-replaced chain case cover gasket
-replaced engine oil filter
-replaced oil
-replaced coolant
-replaced timing secondary chain
-replaced oil pump drive chain
-replaced tensioner
-replaced timing chain guide
-replaced timing secondary chain

The dealership said the issue was still happening but they were not reading any codes as to what was wrong and were still troubleshooting it. So, I decided to pick it up and not spend any more labor hours changing more items.

I looked at different forums and saw that the issue could be the throttle position sensor. I just changed the throttle body assembly that including the throttle position sensor (Type: Cardone Throttle Body Remanufactured) and when going from park to drive out of a restaurant, the jeep stalled.

This is where I am... Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
crankshaft position sensor. Its near the right exhaust manifold and heats up and fails faster. that Sensor is cheap

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, by the parts replaced, they were definately fixing a timing issue.

Makes me think maybe the MAF or MAP sensor may need to be looked at. They would have had to disconnect MAF to do cooling system work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bet Crankshaft position sensor......if its failing to sense the camshaft it shuts off the fuel......then you get the sputtering. My Old TJ did exactly that last fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well, by the parts replaced, they were definately fixing a timing issue.

Makes me think maybe the MAF or MAP sensor may need to be looked at. They would have had to disconnect MAF to do cooling system work.
I think they messed up something after the spark plug job. last post said only stalled when in gear which due to the age probably the crankshaft sensor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe the actuator use is nil when at idle. I can see where if the valve actuator was bypassing a bit it could throw off the camshaft and crank case timing sync. Increasing the RPM would force an advance in the timing, enough to overcome any oil bypassing the actuator seals... hmmm.

Pull a spark plug and see if they gapped it properly (do it on a cold engine). Incorrect gap can screw up idle air/fuel mixture. Gap should be .044 (if you adjust them too much, the electrode can break off) Also, research the plug part number and make sure it is used on Jeeps.

Also, does it give you codes now or does it just stall?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!

I replaced the camshaft position sensors and it has not sputtered and died yet! Also, there was a noticeable difference in how the jeep was idling. You all are awesome. I will never go to a Jeep Dealership again before coming here first. It is crazy to me that my Jeep was at the dealership for over a month and they did not think of this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts