Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice my jeep steering /travel got loose while going down the highway having me fight the wheel the whole time. Had a mechanic look at it and when he turned the steering wheel there was lots of movement underneath all the way to the rear wheels. Both times letting the jeep sit overnight all goes to normal! jeep dealer can't troubleshoot because it fixes itself before I get it there. Also the travel is so bad the esc light comes on and shuts off the cruise. Not fun driving for 8 hrs from Mass. to Pa. it is a stock Sahara with trailering package/tsc. Have wheels ,tires and lift kit but don't won't to install until this is figured out. To me it sounds like some kind of sensor because it fixes itself. Any help out there?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Twice my jeep steering /travel got loose while going down the highway having me fight the wheel the whole time. Had a mechanic look at it and when he turned the steering wheel there was lots of movement underneath all the way to the rear wheels. Both times letting the jeep sit overnight all goes to normal! jeep dealer can't troubleshoot because it fixes itself before I get it there. Also the travel is so bad the esc light comes on and shuts off the cruise. Not fun driving for 8 hrs from Mass. to Pa. it is a stock Sahara with trailering package/tsc. Have wheels ,tires and lift kit but don't won't to install until this is figured out. To me it sounds like some kind of sensor because it fixes itself. Any help out there?
Sorry, but I'm confused by the highlighted statement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when he turned the steering wheel there seemed to be allot of travel in the sway bars etc. I guess there should be some but he could feel things happening at 20 mph. Next morning I had appoint at the jeep dealer and it was all back to normal. no travel and there was very little movement underneath on sway bars etc. He didn't think any of this should be moving but he isn't a jeep mechanic.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
any idea what the trailer sway control does. could this be acting up
Trailer Sway is just software that applies the brakes in a certain manner when a trailer starts to sway. Sounds like you have a much different issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
finally had the steering issue solved. Traveling down the road the other day @ 70mph jeep steering became loose again and was a bear to control. An indicator light came on as before but this time I didn.t shut the jeep off and went straight to a jeep service center. They hooked up the computer and read the code error There seems to be a steering sensor going bad and then the electronic stabilization kicks in and overcompensates the adjustment to get the vehicle back on track. Haven't gotten it back yet but I hope this is the fix!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts