Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it out the last night to dinner. Shifting through the gears and when shifting into 5th its like going into neutral.
No warning or noises. Just all of a sudden. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am no mechanic but my guess would be that the gears inside the trans are not meshing correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maryville Tennessee here. Jeeps are everywhere. After dealing with the famous stalling mystery of my 2000 grand Cherokee I thought Id never buy another jeep. here I am...…..

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Is the gear shifter staying the the 5th position or is it sliding back into neutral? If the latter, then probably as mentioned not properly meshing. If the former, then you might have a slightly bigger problem...

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's possible the shifting fork somehow partially failed, although it's funny you still have 6th. The 5th gear synchros may also be completely worn or out of place. 5th is the first gear you see when you remove the front case. Unlike the other gears, 5th works by connecting the input and output shafts (top shaft in picture). In other gears, 5th gear is driving the countershaft which then drives the output shaft. You can't see it, but in any other gear but 5th, the input and output shaft aren't actually directly connected even though they appear to be. Unfortunately, to diagnose and repair your problem you'll likely need to drop the transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts