Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took possession of my 2012 JKU Rubi 6 speed yesterday. Not my first jeep, but have been out of one since the late 90s.

Above and beyond the interior interior, and the 3.6 engine which deserves some sort of award, this thing drives like a CHAMP!!!

The stock mud tires do not vibrate my cab, it turns sharp and holds on to the road, and I cannot feel the difference in large pot holes and small cracks in the pavement. The brakes took me from 40 to to 0 in what I would call "Stop on a dime" power. Some lady in a Mercedes decided I was unimportant/nonexistent, and that she didn't need to wait for me to pass by to come out of her driveway. (Good thing actually, because if she had been behind my crazy ass going 20 to 40 then back to 15 and so on, she may have just rear ended me at 85)

That being said, had to get it out, I really need some opinions here on a break in period.

The lead mechanic at the dealer advised that the 3.6 Pentastar has already been "Broken in" and that I can, quote " Drive it like I stole it."

I decided to error on the side of safety and keep it slow and easy for the first 500.

Anyone here do the opposite? Has any one else in a 2012 taken possession and just got right into the fun of it all? (not trying to come across as being snobbish, or exclusive. Its a new engine, looking for comparative results on the 3.6s)

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
There was a good thread on this topic here recently, sorry I can't find it. After 500 miles your break in is done. I would now recommend somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles you change your oil and filter. That will get any junk in the oil out from the assembly process and break in. There are mixed opinions on this, but if you've ever seen a used oil analysis from a new engine you will see lots of wear metals in the oil. That is something I would not want in my engine for 3000 or more miles. For under $25 you can change out the oil and filter. Enjoy your ride!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts