Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post here so please forgive me if I don’t respond quickly as I’m trying to figure out how lol.
Last January I got a 2012 Wrangler sport, 84,000 miles on it. Perfect first few months, then in the spring around April the temp gage started climbing up to 3/4. Took it back to the dealership twice, they burped the system twice. The next time they changed the radiator. The next time they changed the water pump. The next time they changed some sensors and the thermostat. I’m pulling out of the dealership and it starts doing it again!! It is now December and there is no heat at all I’m the cabin and it’s damn cold in New England. Now they are saying I need a new engine (covered by the warrantee #blessed) but they never changed the heater core... Has this happened to anyone?? I’ve searched the internet and never heard of this ever happening. I drive the car like it’s my baby and it really doesn’t go off the paved roads at all, and if it does it’s extremely light. I’m just curious to hear if anyone has the same story. Thanks in advance!

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,029 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m really not very technically inclined to figure this out and it doesn’t specify the temps on my gauge but the needle goes to 3/4 and slightly over. In anyone’s experience has a new engine fixed the problem? It just feels like this will never stop

·
Registered
846 Posts
Could be air the cooling system. Burp the radiator. Park with the front on an uphill slope and open the cap. Let the motor run for a few minutes to get the air out of the system. Don't burn yourself when you open the cap.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My 2012 had the no heat issue and the blend door actuator was dead...sorry, didn't have the other issues....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Blend door actuator for sure for the no-heat-in-the-cabin deal, but the engine overheating seems far out for that. maybe a clogged heater core (might impede flow)

Im dealing with no heat in cabin right now, except on the highest setting. Likely the actuator, but at only 17,000 miles is frustrating

·
Registered
453 Posts
Blend door actuator for sure for the no-heat-in-the-cabin deal, but the engine overheating seems far out for that. maybe a clogged heater core (might impede flow)

Im dealing with no heat in cabin right now, except on the highest setting. Likely the actuator, but at only 17,000 miles is frustrating
I love the Jeep, but I had fewer issues with my Ford Pinto, which is sad...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well, I gotta stop fighting it. I did a hard core reverse-heating-core flushing today. I could clearly see a LOT of sediment flowing out onto the bucket. Too fine to feel like sand on the bottom of the bucket, but I could easily see it going out. Every time I swapped between regular flush and reverse flush, you could see more and more. I even ran some CLR through it and let it sit for 30min. Man, ridiculous the amount of more and more sediment that came out. After of about 90 min of flushing and prolly 50 5-gl buckets out to the street (It was just water, there were only 2 buckets with the coolant currently IN the core at the time of start up) I could see very little sediment flowing through it. Still there, but I didnt want to keep going. Anyway, right after re-fill and hook up I fired up and sure enough had great heat on ALL settings of the dial....Mission accomplished! Victory!

Well ****, victory is a funny word. 'Cuz about 2 hours later while driving on the highway at 75mph it is back to the same issue: Great heat ONLY at highest setting of the knob. EVERYTHING else back from highest setting, yields cool air.
Fan works great. 1st setting is low. High setting is wicked fast. Check.
Selector works great. Floor is floor, dash is dash, and defrost is defrost. Check.
Temp-selection is off. 66-68-70-72-....78-80-82 ALL cool...84 = Lava hot!

So there is it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts