Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wifes jeep all of a sudden quit starting.. I will checking things out and broke the ignition wire connector ontop of the starter trying to remove it. bought a new starter and its still not starting.. heres what its doing.

turn key, dash lights up, then go to start it clicks and then looses all power (did same before I got to the starter). I ran a new battery cable to starter power and it didn't change a thing, connected new grounds everywhere and nothing changed. even tried my new battery out of my truck, still same. all fuses and relays check out good that I can test anyways.. tonight I noticed her interior light doesn't light up when the door is opened, and it takes abit for the headlights to light up when not running. we push started it tonight and it runs like it always does, but not with the key.. im at a loss.. I will remove the starter tomorrow just incase its a bad starter,, but it did this before looked at it so not sure its the starter. jeep has 129k on it.
I did notice the little red light on the right of the gauge flash a few times,, had a friend with a scanner come over and no codes, and no engine light comes on. really don't want to have to push the jeep anymore..

where do I look now? thanx for all the leads in advance.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You may have a security system in there. Ours went on the fritz and wouldn't let the Jeep start. Sometimes pulling a fuze would help. We finally just had the system removed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same problem the other day for my 2012 JKU. Started right up after work, drove around for maybe 15mins picking up the kids, shut it off at home, an hour or so later came outside to start it and - click, nothing. Radio comes on, headlights come on but as soon as I turn the key, one loud click and radio/lights go off. About 10-12secs later another click and radio/lights are back on.

Video evidence of one click, no start:

No codes were thrown so here's what I tried after reading a bunch of threads:
- negative terminal was loose, would spin on post by pushing/pulling on wire. Clamped down with vice grips so it wouldn't move, didn't help.
- cleaned positive and negative terminals albeit they didn't look corroded, didn't help
- ran a 4ga ground wire from negative post to top bolt of alternator which is grounded to the block, didn't help
- had battery checked at parts store, everything passed; hit battery with multimeter to check and it was holding a charge a few hours later.
- tried the pushing gear shifter forward and in neutral to start, still one click but not start; atleast this ruled out the Neutral Safety Switch or whatever it's name is for an automatic transmission
- removed the security system fuse for 30secs, didn't help
- turned over the motor with a crescent wrench on the flywheel to ensure my motor wasn't seized up, all good there
- finally got some help from the neighbor
---Watched multimeter when key was turned to see if losing cranking power but no significant drop with the one-click draw
---banged on the starter while neighbor was turning the key, didn't help. However I could feel the one loud click coming from the starter when I placed my hand on it and had them turn the key.

Finally broke down and put a new starter in tonight. Jeep cranked first turn of the key but it was rough. Eventually started but idled like crap. Feels like the first time you start a two-storke motor with choke on and it starts chugging/hesitating for air and fuel. Didn't let it run for very long as I didn't want to create more issues however it did throw 2 camshaft position sensor error codes - P0345, P0390.

***UPDATE FROM YESTERDAY***
Cleaned all grounds.
Sprayed electrical contact cleaner on computer plugs and put dialelectric grease on them - helped me solve random electrical issues with a Pontiac G6 before.
Neither worked and upon startup, I now am getting misfire error codes ontop of the camshaft position sensor error codes.
The traction control light is also now coming on for some reason. Read on another thread it was due to a bad ground but from my list above, I already added a new ground.

Video of the rough start:

Anyone have any ideas on what else to try before I go down the road of replacing the camshaft sensors? Doesn't seem that hard but I'm not convinced that's the issue. Seems odd that replacing the starter would all of a sudden trigger all these codes.

Error codes after rough start video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update on my situation - dang timing chain broke which was causing all the misfire and random codes. Ended up tearing motor down to replace all chains, all rocker arms (no more ticking!), gaskets etc. Luckily didn't bend any valves.

Bought Jeep used from local dealer that had head gasket replaced just before they cold it. Mechanic didn't tighten down one of the bolts holding the chain guide down to spec so in less than 5k miles it backed out which caused the chain to snap

Here's the bolt that caused all the issues which was in the bottom of the oil pan:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts