Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Rubicon JK 6 speed manual locks and windows.
I was going about 15 mph it sputtered and died. Pushed the clutch in and it turns over and sounds fine but would not start. The check engine light was on. I turned the key off and back on and after about 8 seconds it started. Was running a bit rough. No smoke but I was about to drive the 3 blocks home. Turned it off and noticed a red lightening bolt and the esc light on. Ran inside got ready for work. Btw it was not cold outside and I have not been in any water.
Got ready for work 20 minutes later went down got it to start after maybe 3 seconds and it run fine it seemed but check engine light was in and no other lights. Let it run about 3 minutes to see if it would die. It didn't so I turned it off and took other jeep Work.

So it sputtered and died and turns over but hard to start. It has gas. 38k miles on it. Has been 3 days since I got gas still over half tank. Just trying to list everything I can think of.

Any ideas?
I called ship they can't get it in for 6 days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got home did the flip the key on and off trick and it gave no codes. Started right up like it should Check engine light stayed on it was running smooth so I let it run 10 minutes then shut it off. Going to take it to parts store to have the codes checked if there is any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know to much about JK's, but I was searching Google for JK problems and seen they have an issues with the TIPM ( fuel pump relay cuts out ) sounds like your problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered all three sensors just hoping they are the actual problem. I did have something very similar happen on my 2001 jeep grand Cherokee and once replaced never had any more problems.
Fingers crossed

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
These are the codes it had. The check engine light has turned itself off on the way to the parts store.
This should give you more info. Scroll down to 3.6 JK. It sounds like you need to replace the camshaft position sensor.

https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/jeep-wrangler-jk-how-to-replace-camshaft-position-sensor-407292

The crankshaft position sensor could also be the problem.

This thread should also help. The terminology was initially confusing but in the end it's clear where each sensor is located.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/crankshaft-sensor-location-1718617.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you I will replace all 3 sensors and hope for the best. I'm headed to ouray Colorado in 2 weeks. So i figure it is best to do all three

1 - 8 of 8 Posts