Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard recently that the new automatic in the JK requires no filter or fluid changes for its lifetime. Surely i must have heard wrong. I have changed my truck and jeep trans fluid and filters at around thirty thousand miles and from the looks of the fluid, it needed changing. I suppose in a small vehicle this might be ok, but in a jeep or a pickup I just don't see it. Further if a seal begins to leak, there goes the farm. Am I wrong, or what.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
drjay said:
I heard recently that the new automatic in the JK requires no filter or fluid changes for its lifetime. Surely i must have heard wrong. I have changed my truck and jeep trans fluid and filters at around thirty thousand miles and from the looks of the fluid, it needed changing. I suppose in a small vehicle this might be ok, but in a jeep or a pickup I just don't see it. Further if a seal begins to leak, there goes the farm. Am I wrong, or what.
Manual says automatic transmission fluid change at 64k

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's a sealed transmission, no service.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also :popcorn:

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a dipstick under the plastic engine cover. That to me is not sealed. If there is a way to check it then there must be a way to service it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Manual says automatic transmission fluid change at 64k
64,000 Miles (104,000 km) or 48 Months Maintenance Service Schedule

«Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.»

I read this as "might as well do it" :D

DB

·
Registered
719 Posts
I heard recently that the new automatic in the JK requires no filter or fluid changes for its lifetime. Surely i must have heard wrong.
So where was it "heard"? There is conflicting information as replies to your original post. I would err on the information printed in the owner's manual.:confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
My .02, heard it's a fill for life. (no service needed ) but being the hands on type we are, a dip stick was added for our piece of mind.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
My .02, heard it's a fill for life. (no service needed ) but being the hands on type we are, a dip stick was added for our piece of mind.
Stop listening to whoever "they" are and stick to hard cold facts. Read what you manual says.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Stop listening to whoever "they" are and stick to hard cold facts. Read what you manual says.
It bears repeating.

Answering a technical question with a vague response is doing the OP a disservice by not providing the accurate information they came here asking for.

When it comes to specifications you really need to throwing down information from a verifiable source.
Preferably a manufacturer's service manual.

Anything less and you will annoy folks who really have that info because this is a site full of enthusiasts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quoted from the October 2011 JP Magazine article detailing the 2012 Wrangler--just to add to the confusion. It certainly sounds as if the new automatic transmission, although not technically a sealed unit, certainly is constructed with limited maintenance in mind. My inclination would be to talk to a certified mechanic that I trust and get the straight skinny from them. I'll further caveat this by saying I own a 2011 Rubi with 6 spd, howver, I'll be taking delivery of my son's 2012 Wrangler Sport--with the automatac transmission-- until we can get the vehicle to him--so I have more than a passing interest in this discussion.

Backing the new engine is a new automatic transmission. The old anemic-shifting four-speed auto tranny has been replaced with a much more heavy-duty A580 five-speed overdrive automatic. It’s the same tranny that can be found behind the 5.7L V-8 engines and similar to what’s found in the ’11 Grand Cherokee, except it’s not a sealed unit. The Wrangler A580 gets a dipstick but it’s still considered a “fill-for-life” transmission that requires no maintenance. The new auto also comes with Electronic Range Select, a shifter that can be toggled to the right or left to control selection of the desired top gear.

·
Registered
719 Posts
2012-Rubicon, DB, and Tom are right. As of this morning, Pages 569 and 574 of the published 2012 Owner's Manual clearly state when the ATF and filter are to be changed: 64000 miles et al for police, taxi, fleet, towing, etc. and 120000 miles et al for less strenuous operation.

Hearsay and what magazines say are not going to pay for your transmission repair if it was not serviced when required.

·
Registered
704 Posts
2012-Rubicon, DB, and Tom are right. As of this morning, Pages 569 and 574 of the published 2012 Owner's Manual clearly state when the ATF and filter are to be changed: 64000 miles et al for police, taxi, fleet, towing, etc. and 120000 miles et al for less strenuous operation.

Hearsay and what magazines say are not going to pay for your transmission repair if it was not serviced when required.
So, is it possible to change the '12 tranny fluid?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts