Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some research but I can't seem to find an exact match of my issue on the web. So I am asking here so I can compile a list of things to check.
My wife has complained that the jeep just shuts off on her when driving around town or in our driveway. It did it two times in a row in our driveway. It seems like it is starting to get more frequent. She says when it dies she just puts it in park and it starts right up... Which that last part seems to be different from other issues.
I'd like to hear from people who have experienced this issue. Right now I am leaning towards it being a battery problem. One of the posts say that a low battery could cause this issue... So I left the battery on the trickle charger over night and after 8 hours of charging it still wasnt finished charging ! ( is that a problem? )

Things i think I should be looking at.....

Battery - Dead? or loose connections?
Ground connections?
Crank sensor?
I was going to look at cleaning the MAF sensor
( but i believe i have learned that the 2012 JKUs don't have a MAF sensor ).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not tried to pull codes.... I know that the check engine light or any other light does not come on.. Would there still be a code even with out the check engine light coming on?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have done some research but I can't seem to find an exact match of my issue on the web. So I am asking here so I can compile a list of things to check.
My wife has complained that the jeep just shuts off on her when driving around town or in our driveway. It did it two times in a row in our driveway. It seems like it is starting to get more frequent. She says when it dies she just puts it in park and it starts right up... Which that last part seems to be different from other issues.
I'd like to hear from people who have experienced this issue. Right now I am leaning towards it being a battery problem. One of the posts say that a low battery could cause this issue... So I left the battery on the trickle charger over night and after 8 hours of charging it still wasnt finished charging ! ( is that a problem? )

Things i think I should be looking at.....

Battery - Dead? or loose connections?
Ground connections?
Crank sensor?
I was going to look at cleaning the MAF sensor
( but i believe i have learned that the 2012 JKUs don't have a MAF sensor ).
I to have a 2012 JKUR that had the exact same problem: engine shutting off along with not going into gear (Drive or Revrse) and some clunking when trans was shifting. No codes (drove me bananas), The dealer along with local mechanic could not duplicate my issue. Then a member here said "since its a 2012 try camshaft sensors" and then I had the dealer replace crank and cam sensor along with sync to relearn and problem was solved. Jeeps been running great for 6months no issues. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mine took a few times/weeks of dying before the check engine light came on.
Mine usually happens in the same spot on my commute, third gear up hill in a passing lane, like a light switch on/off then dead. Sometimes check engine light, most times no check engine light.

I was not able to pull codes until the check engine light came on. It would usually be off the next morning when I left for work but the codes are still stored.

I think the sensors are not very much $$$ and a replace in your driveway type of job.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My wife has complained that the jeep just shuts off on her when driving a
Also note that these sensors are cheap and easily replaced but since the dealer took care of it because FCA was on there ass it only cost me $250 out the door. Honestly theres mixed reviews about the relearning process. Some say they just reset the battery and no issues others beg to differ. I took the safe approach by having dealer so call do there relearn process with their scan machine. Either way this might be your solution. Jeep on!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Returning back to this....... After a while of it not happening - finally a MIL light..
Getting P0300 (random multiple cylinder misfire) and P0339( Crank Position Sensor ).. So I am going in to get the sensor replaced!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I to have a 2012 JKUR that had the exact same problem: engine shutting off along with not going into gear (Drive or Revrse) and some clunking when trans was shifting. No codes (drove me bananas), The dealer along with local mechanic could not duplicate my issue. Then a member here said "since its a 2012 try camshaft sensors" and then I had the dealer replace crank and cam sensor along with sync to relearn and problem was solved. Jeeps been running great for 6months no issues. Good luck bud.
INTERESTING !!! At the same time this dying happened I too am having an issue with the tranny changing gears.. IT HATES IT! I have tried a tranny flush and that didnt work.. I think I will see what happens to the tranny once i change this sensor... How much did both cost you?

·
Registered
143 Posts
INTERESTING !!! At the same time this dying happened I too am having an issue with the tranny changing gears.. IT HATES IT! I have tried a tranny flush and that didnt work.. I think I will see what happens to the tranny once i change this sensor... How much did both cost you?
The CS sensors are like $30-$35 ea. easy to change but in my case since the dealer had the truck I let them do it $210. (i believe the extra charge was a re sync to learn the new shift pattern which is bullshit, no such thing its plug and play.) Good luck let us know if this resolves your issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh if you DIY be-sure to use OEM with this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh if you DIY be-sure to use OEM with this.

So I was really worried about DIY just because I have had bad parts from the stores......... So I decided that I am going to get the dealer to do it...

Now my BUTT hurts! They just called back saying it was going to be $535.

Still trying to figure out how they say one cam sensor is 30min and the other is 2 1/2 hours of labor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I was really worried about DIY just because I have had bad parts from the stores......... So I decided that I am going to get the dealer to do it...

Now my BUTT hurts! They just called back saying it was going to be $535.

Still trying to figure out how they say one cam sensor is 30min and the other is 2 1/2 hours of labor.
There crazy! heres a YT video also several others online.

if the filter hasnt been changed might be a good idea to knock that out too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

So I am now 2 plus weeks after having the work done..

To recap - I was having issues with the Jeep dying while driving and while at a stop light. Also I was having some terrible shifting issues/ slipping issues with the tranny.

I started off doing;

1 - Added Lucas anti-slip to tranny ( didnt fix the issue )
2 - Flushed the Tranny and put new filter and new Mopar fluid with Lucas Oil
( didnt fix the issue, but it did help some )
3 - Had the shop change the crank sensor. ( fixed the issue! )

The Crank sensor is what really fixed this issue... However within a day of the crank sensor being replaced, I replaced both Cam sensors.... Since I had already purchased them from the shop. However - I installed them and saved myself $300 in labor!

I could tell a difference as soon as i picked up the Jeep from the shop... No issues. I continue to have no issue! I did take the advice of others and purchased MOPAR sensors .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts