Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new owner of a used 2012 JKU with about 500 miles short of 100k. Its been running great except a few incidents in the past few days.

This past Saturday I was jumping on the highway and on the ramp my jeep skipped a bit and the check engine light flashed for about 10-15 secs. I of course worried started to pull over and by the time I stopped it went away. I checked for a code right then and nothing came up. I drove it home another hour or so and didn't have a single issues. I haven't drove it since till this morning to get the codes checked by autozone to double check. Again after about 6-7 mins going slightly uphill it flashed for another 10-15secs. By the time I took my next right to check it cleared, and again no code. When I got to Autozone even their reader didn't pick anything up, all said okay.

I couldn't tell you if the plugs/coils have been replaced at all, as I requested the service history. But I am assuming it is the time to do so. Is there anything else it could be? I enjoy fixing it myself, and as well the savings from doing so, but normally having a code or something to follow has helped me a ton. Just looking for some insight on what it may be, and if so coils or plugs, which ones are best and which I should steer clear from.

Thanks a ton,

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You really need the code. It would also be nice to know if the head has been replaced.

The good thing? If it's a P300, P302, P304, or P306 it's probably the head and it's got a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty on it.

The 2012's and early 2013's had a defective head design and the remedy is a head replacement. The warranty was extended by Chrysler as a result.

The other thing is that the Pentastar has 100k mile sparkplugs in it, so you are due for those. Unfortunately, to replace the drivers side plugs requires pulling the intake manifold to get at them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Good news for you is that it's somewhat predictable for you to get the issue (under slight to heavy load). Probably worth you investing in an OBD reader that supports reading live data.

I have one and used it to determine exactly which coil pack on my son's F-150 was failing. Would only flash code when coil pack would misfire, but not long enough to stay in computer system for me to read. Anyone who has the 5.4 knows what a PITA it is to swap coil packs, not to mention expensive, so rather than guess, I was able to recreate the issue while I had the reader hooked up and see the code live. You should be able to do the same so that you will at least know what you're dealing with.

This reader from HF will show you live codes. Get some coupons and probably knock another $10+ bucks off. Plus, once you have this reader, you'll find that it's very handy to have on hand.

https://www.harborfreight.com/merch...r8-obd2-code-reader-with-live-data-63809.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I am purchasing it now. Thanks for the info all! Hopefully in a few days or so I have fixed the problem cause driving my car just isn't as fun haha.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts