Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I changed the oil, oil filter, and oil filter. I used to be able to get 330 miles on it. Now I can't get 300. Earlier I was looking around and noticed oil in my air filter. Any suggestions or has anybody heard this before???

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yeah. I have that. I call it blowby which may not be the correct term. Someone told me it is normal and not to worry about it. If you feel like it do a search for blowby and a few people responded to that thread I believe.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
330 miles to an oil filter? :eek: Did you mean 3300 miles?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think he was say mileage for the 330/300. All engines have blow-by to a minimum. If the filter was heavily cover with oil, then you have a problem. If it had some, it shouldn't be anything but normal. Also, the intake tube would have oil in it as well. Same as the filter. If it has a lot of oil, you have an issue. If it's a little, you probably don't have a problem.

But, if you are still worry about it. Take you babi in to the dealer & let them look at it. It is under warranty after all!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
To resurrect an older thread, I was checking out my air filter (K&N) tonight to see if it needed a cleaning (I did an oil change tonight too). Noticed this (engine) oil on my filter....I guess this is normal???

I only run Castrol full synthetic.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I've had an oil spot on the filter from new

·
Premium Member
10,233 Posts
Not sure how the 3.6 is plumbed... may need a catch can like the Hemi's.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Not sure how the 3.6 is plumbed... may need a catch can like the Hemi's.
Hose from the air cleaner to the PCV on the back of the passenger side valve cover. Hose from PCV to intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
10,233 Posts
Hose from the air cleaner to the PCV on the back of the passenger side valve cover. Hose from PCV to intake manifold.
Well, a quick search indicates there's a catch can made for the 3.5/3.6 V6's. I saw a photo of a 3.6 throttle body with oil residue... basically the same situation as the Hemi's.

I ran a Billet Technologies cc on my 6.1 between the intake and PCV... damn thing sucked a lot of oil. At least 5-6 tablespoons every 2500 miles.

On the 3.6 I would change the air filter more frequently.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Do you guys think this can have an impact on my K&N? Most of it was on the rubber seal around the filter.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do you guys think this can have an impact on my K&N? Most of it was on the rubber seal around the filter.
No, the K&N is an oil impregnated filter, some additional engine oil should have no effect on the seal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got minr back from the dealer with the same issue and Chrysler said that the oil on my filter and in the intake was normal but if it gets worse to take it in. They said that they heard rumors that this could be caused by adding oil too fast but it is highly unlikely. We agreed that it is more likely that at higher RPMs that the demand for air becomes so high that you actually pull oil from the PCV. They said that Chrysler is aware of the issue.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Back when I had an 05 mustang GT, many of us would install a filter can to keep the oil from making it back to the intake.

Some were opposed to it, and claimed the oil being recycled through the intake helps 'coat' and 'protect' engine internals. I call BS on that.

Most importantly, don't just remove the hose and cap it before it gets to the intake. It's setup that way because the oil vapor needs to be sucked out of the engine and the intake is perfect for that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It looks like one pcv hose goes to the air box and the other pcv hose goes to the throttle body. With under 500 miles on my 13 JKU there is oil residue in the hose & fitting on the throttle body but not in the hose to the air box

1 - 16 of 16 Posts