Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of doing my first ever oil change thanks to the guidance of the WF, and I have a question- please pardon my ignorance.

I don't see a gasket on the oil drain plug- just looks like it was on there without one. Is this normal? Should I be fishing through the drained oil for it? The bucket it's draining into has a grate / filter that should have caught it, but I'm not seeing it there.

I don't think that I should be relying on the drain plug without the rubber seal / gasket, so just wanted to get the collective's advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, everyone. Breathing easier :)

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
In the olds days they had a plastic washer. If anything ever happened to it you could make a new one out of a plastic coffee can lid. The good ol' days....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Make sure the gasket comes off the oil filter though. Sometimes it sticks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
No gasket on the filter on the '12. It's a cartridge. There is a rubber o-ring on the cap. You get a new one with every filter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
^^ yes, sometimes that o ring can sick to the engine when the old filter comes off.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Success! Oil change completed. No leaks, though it did get a tad messy with the oil shooting out a couple feet upon removing the drain plug. Laid some cardboard down as a precaution so no biggie. Replaced the O-ring as well.

Next up- swapping out the headlight bulbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts