Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to go the dealer today and order my rubi. but the whole tranny thing is holding me back. Its gonna be my daily driver and Ill be doing wheeling every now and then. but I cant decide. since no one has yet to drive the new 2012's I cant get feedback on how either tranny feels. should I just wait till they are on lots so I can test drive both? Im leaning to auto because its my DD. but I currently drive stick and love it and am afraid to give it up. Decisions... Decisions....

·
Marine Jeeper
5,399 Posts
Like ESP said, if you like driving a stick get that. A lot of people complain that driving a manual in traffic is annoying, but I get bored if I'm not shifting. After driving my 6 speed over a year now, I doubt that I will ever go back to an automatic.

You'll hear people tell you that an auto is much better off road, but I think that a manual just adds an extra little challenge to it, which makes the whole experience more enjoyable for me.

It all comes down to personal preference. Do you want to drive around an automatic, or do you feel like using three pedals?

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
tysalem said:
Like ESP said, if you like driving a stick get that. A lot of people complain that driving a manual in traffic is annoying, but I get bored if I'm not shifting. After driving my 6 speed over a year now, I doubt that I will ever go back to an automatic.

You'll hear people tell you that an auto is much better off road, but I think that a manual just adds an extra little challenge to it, which makes the whole experience more enjoyable for me.

It all comes down to personal preference. Do you want to drive around an automatic, or do you feel like using three pedals?
Yep. I can't see myself going back to an auto. I like to be in control.
The auto is supposed to be better in the 12 though I hear but,from what I read, the 3.6 power band Is still higher up in the rpm range. Having a manual you have control as far as when you want to shift :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so far you guys are making me lean toward stick. but how about the 4 door compared the 2 door? I feel like the 4 door is too big a truck to drive stick in.

·
Marine Jeeper
5,399 Posts
ok so far you guys are making me lean toward stick. but how about the 4 door compared the 2 door? I feel like the 4 door is too big a truck to drive stick in.
There are plenty of members on here with 6 speed 4 doors. I don't see how it is too big of a "JEEP" to drive a stick in. Your getting the Rubicon which will have 4.10 gearing which will be plenty of power.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Pomz623 said:
Naa, you will be fine.

There are lots of threads "2 door vs 4 door" on here if you do some digging. A lot of people who longed for a jeep felt the
2 door was just too small. Then came the 4 door and from what I see is a more popular option now.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I'd like to throw my $.02 in. I've put 90k miles on my manual, 97% on road as a daily driver, 3% off road.

A manual is fun. But, in a daily driver, I want practical. Off road, a manual is again more fun. But, my opinion is that an automatic is more capable. It would be a different story if humans had 3 feet.

The 2012 will have the W5A580, which in the GC, performs great. There was no question when I ordered my 2012, I went with the auto.

The 4 doors seem a lot more capable off road, and the wheelbase handles bumps a lot smoother.

I'm a 2 door person however. I love the 2 door's turning radius, maneuvering ability, and the decreased weight is a nice plus.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I drive a manual every day. When I get in an auto I usually hit the brake hard with my left foot while trying to push in a clutch pedal that isn't there at least two or three times before I can drive normally. For safety reasons, I'm sticking with a manual in my wife's Jeep.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
If you are wondering about the transmission and engine themselves, test drive a GC with the 3.6. It'll have the same engine and tranny as the '12 wrangler. Only judge the engine and tranny tho. The GC is a lot more luxurious than a wrangler. If u like it get the auto. If you like the manual better, get that. Is the manual transmission going to be different in the 12?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My truck is a six speed stick and I don't mind driving it at all, but I don't drive it daily...mostly just for towing. For a DD...my Jeep...I went with an auto. My last DD was an auto and I loved not having to shift a lot in town. I'm older than a lot of you guys and the auto is just more friendly. I also drive to San Fran a few times each year and the hills are much easier with an auto...and they DO have some hills :whistling:

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
God made all cars including jeeps with a manual transmission. Then some inventor figured out some way of shifting the dang gears by themselves and lots of lazy people started buying them (including myself). My jeep has a standard and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you are used to driving standard, then it is a great choice. I drive in all conditions and still prefer stick. Even in city driving.

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Oh, ya....4 doors are a great choice too. I couldn't seem to pull the trigger on a 2 door as a family guy. When the 4 door came along it was a no brainer. And I still think that after owning one for 4 years. I did however purchase my son a 2 door YJ. Different purpose for that one....when he gets his license in 6 months....

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have a 10 Rubi 2dr. 6spd. and ordered it that way, but it's not my daily driver. I have another vehicle with more room so I stuck with a 2dr. But, if I had a daily driver with not mostly highway driving and needed some more room I would have gotten a 4dr Rubi with an auto. Only you can make this decision, but there really isn't a bad one. Good luck with your 12.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would like to go the dealer today and order my rubi. but the whole tranny thing is holding me back. Its gonna be my daily driver and Ill be doing wheeling every now and then. but I cant decide. since no one has yet to drive the new 2012's I cant get feedback on how either tranny feels. should I just wait till they are on lots so I can test drive both? Im leaning to auto because its my DD. but I currently drive stick and love it and am afraid to give it up. Decisions... Decisions....
I can't tell you which transmission to go with because this is going to be 'Your Jeep' but I will tell you the reason in which I chose the Auto. I have driven manual in the past and I strongly believe that manual transmissions are made for sports/muscle vehicles (mustangs, corvettes, M3s, Harleys, you name it). Sports cars are a lot more enjoyable with a manual because you want to hear the mufflers screaming and the engine rumbling. On the other hands, the wrangler is a unique machine that I want to enjoy cruising in city/highway; driving on sand, in mud, and climbing rocks (an Auto will allow me to fully concentrate on enjoying and being part of every moment and will enable me to keep both my hands on the steering).

Edit: I also chose Auto so that my wife is able to drive the Wrangler without burning the clutch

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
IMHO, I say auto and be sure to select the 4.10s. The new auto is geared a lot lower through the entire gear range (not to mention it's now a 5 spd) compared to the old JKs.

In the new motor, power is made somewhat higher in the rev range, but, you're geared considerably lower in the new auto. Not to mention, the torque curve is way flatter with the new motor - so, the auto will do fine.

Personally, I think autos are more fun ... When you get into the really rough, er, I mean "fun" stuff in the rocks, letting the torque converter do it's thing not only allows you to take the hard line more smoothly than 98% of those in manuals, it results in less loading of the drivetrain (read:less likely to break stuff).

Now, if I was doing overlanding/expedition Camel Trophy type stuff, I may be more inclined to go manual over slush box ... Maybe. ;)

For a DD, I'm getting too annoyed in my mid-life to be bothered with shifting constantly in traffic. :D

T

1 - 20 of 64 Posts