Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The same light that illuminates when the emergency brake is left on is staying illuminated while I am driving but it doesn't make a chime or blink like it does when the emergency brake is left on.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thank you in advanced

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Too bad there's no book or cd or anything that comes with these things to explain all the warning lights designed to keep you from dying or destroying your vehicle.

If your fluid is low and you top it off, keep that in mind when you replace your brakes. Some of that fluid will have to come out, and if you don't do it before you do the brakes, it will FORCE its way out, either leaking past the reservoir cap or just blowing it off and spraying everywhere. And brake fluid LOVES paint...for about three seconds then there's magically no paint there anymore. :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too bad there's no book or cd or anything that comes with these things to explain all the warning lights designed to keep you from dying or destroying your vehicle.

If your fluid is low and you top it off, keep that in mind when you replace your brakes. Some of that fluid will have to come out, and if you don't do it before you do the brakes, it will FORCE its way out, either leaking past the reservoir cap or just blowing it off and spraying everywhere. And brake fluid LOVES paint...for about three seconds then there's magically no paint there anymore. :(
Well good thing the "book" it came with is a small picture book that states the obvious and gives no information on what the dash lights are. And the cd it came with shows you how to remove your hardtop and how to change your tire incase of a flat.

All I did was ask for advise I apologize if my question bothered you in any way but thank you for taking your time on explaining how brake fluid works.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your brake fluid reservoir level. Fluid should only go low if you have worn brake pads and/or a leak.
Thank you. That's the first thing I checked and it's above the minimum line. I noticed it only comes on in the morning after my vehicle had been parked. During the day it's fine. I find it kind of odd.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Brake Warning Light

This light monitors various brake functions, including brake fluid level and parking brake application. If the brake light turns on it may indicate that the parking brake is applied, that the brake fluid level is low, or that there is a problem with the anti-lock brake system reservoir.
If the light remains on when the parking brake has been disengaged, and the fluid level is at the full mark on the master cylinder reservoir, it indicates a possible brake hydraulic system malfunction or that a problem with the Brake Booster has been detected by the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) / Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system. In this case, the light will remain on until the condition has been corrected. If the problem is related to the brake booster, the ABS pump will run when applying the brake and a brake pedal pulsation may be felt during each stop.
The dual brake system provides a reserve braking capacity in the event of a failure to a portion of the hydraulic system. A leak in either half of the dual brake system is indicated by the Brake Warning Light, which will turn on when the brake fluid level in the master cylinder has dropped below a specified level.
The light will remain on until the cause is corrected.
NOTE:The light may flash momentarily during sharp cornering maneuvers, which change fluid level conditions. The vehicle should have service performed, and the brake fluid level checked.

If brake failure is indicated, immediate repair is necessary.
WARNING!
Driving a vehicle with the red brake light on is dangerous. Part of the brake system may have failed. It will take longer to stop the vehicle. You could have a collision. Have the vehicle checked immediately.
Vehicles equipped with the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), are also equipped with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD). In the event of an EBD failure, the Brake Warning Light will turn on along with the ABS Light. Immediate repair to the ABS system is required.
Operation of the Brake Warning Light can be checked by turning the ignition switch from the OFF position to the ON/RUN position. The light should illuminate for approximately two seconds. The light should then turn off unless the parking brake is applied or a brake fault is detected. If the light does not illuminate, have the light inspected by an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well good thing the "book" it came with is a small picture book that states the obvious and gives no information on what the dash lights are. And the cd it came with shows you how to remove your hardtop and how to change your tire incase of a flat.

All I did was ask for advise I apologize if my question bothered you in any way but thank you for taking your time on explaining how brake fluid works.
I agree the little book was a lame choice by Chrysler, but there's an 800 number to order the full manual for free. It's also available as a PDF from Jeep's website. I keep a copy on my work computer so I can post the relevant info when these questions pop up.

I included the warning on blasting the cap off because I've done it. I also spilled a couple of drops on a painted valve cover and in the time it took me to turn around and grab a rag (it was within arm's reach) and wipe it off, the spots were already down to bare metal. Brake fluid doesn't mess around.

Edit: I guess I don't need to post the text since it's already up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts