Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a question. I have stock suspension in my Wrangler and I know of a friend that is selling me his brand new Rubicon suspension for $200. Can I install it in my JK from 2012 a suspension from a 2017Rubicon and would it make a difference in my daily driving? i have 33s on 17s rims. Should I buy it or should I save up?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Only the shocks and springs are of any use to you, all other components are identical.
Best thing to do is look up the spring codes, and make sure you're getting a taller/stiffer spring, than what you already have. $200 is the going CL price, so he's not exactly cutting you the 'good buddy' price. You didn't mention your type of off-roading or final goal, but that said, I'd save up for a real lift if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just did this exact thing with my 2012 JK. I picked up some 2017 Rubi take off shocks and coil springs and they went right on with no issues. My stock springs were 14/55s and the Rubi takeoffs were 18/59s. The Jeeps handles much better. It also gave my JK a lift as well. I also installed a 1" spacer on the front and half inch spacer on rear to compensate for the heavy front bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only the shocks and springs are of any use to you, all other components are identical.
Best thing to do is look up the spring codes, and make sure you're getting a taller/stiffer spring, than what you already have. $200 is the going CL price, so he's not exactly cutting you the 'good buddy' price. You didn't mention your type of off-roading or final goal, but that said, I'd save up for a real lift if that's what you're after.
What do they go for? I probably end up saving for a nice kit. I only do casual off-road since in San Antonio I haven't found any place yet. Closest place is about 2 hours, Hidden Falls

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did this exact thing with my 2012 JK. I picked up some 2017 Rubi take off shocks and coil springs and they went right on with no issues. My stock springs were 14/55s and the Rubi takeoffs were 18/59s. The Jeeps handles much better. It also gave my JK a lift as well. I also installed a 1" spacer on the front and half inch spacer on rear to compensate for the heavy front bumper.
That's what I need. A more stable Jeep. I change the track bar and it helps. I assumed putting a Rubicon suspension will do until I can afford a better kit.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
That's what I need. A more stable Jeep. I change the track bar and it helps. I assumed putting a Rubicon suspension will do until I can afford a better kit.
If it's coming off of a 4dr and going on to a 4dr, the differences are going to be minor and not worth the $200...

I can tell you what would be worth $150 though and that is a set of Rancho RS5000X shocks, that is a BIG upgrade and much better than Rubicon shocks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was thinking we were talking about a JK not a JKU. Pressurized is correct. If you have a JKU, then a true lift is going to be the correct answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts