Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an after market bumper and had to relocate the vacuum pump? Is there a bracket relocation kit available? I was planning on a Rock Hard bumper full width. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
355 Posts
oakley said:
Has anyone installed an after market bumper and had to relocate the vacuum pump? Is there a bracket relocation kit available? I was planning on a Rock Hard bumper full width. Thanks in advance
Rockhard has a kit for their bumper, $30.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just installed a winch mount which has a bracket that bolts right there in the same spot.
I cut it off with my plasma cutter & welded it right back to my winch bracket...no cost
just a little extra time.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx everyone. Being a first time Jeeper I want to do it right.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Off Road Evolution has a great one (and I have it on mine).

--Sean

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed my XHD front bumper on my 2012 JKU. I initially installed it on my 2011 but for different reasons I swapped it for a 2012. As I was doing the simple bumper install, I noticed the Vacuum Pump was now in the way. I purchased a relocation kit from Northridge 4x4, and I did that pretty quickly. I am just curious what the Vacumm Pump does. I relocated it from behind the front bumper to pretty hugh up in the engine compartment. I hope its function does not have anything to do with its location. Part of the relocation was also extending the two electrical wires and removing about 3ft of hose. Can someone please tell me what this nifty little device does and also how important it is for my Jeep in general. I just hope I was not messing around with anything vitally important or something that could compromise my safety.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Location doesn't matter for the vacuum pump. It is sealed and can be submerged without issues. Basically, the new engine doesn't create a lot of vacuum, but the engine's VVT cam phasing uses vacuum for the adjustment. This nifty little pump creates the extra vacuum the engine needs for cam phasing and other functions.

--Sean

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed a Rock Hard 4X4 bumper with a Warn M8000. I had to use mt dremel tool to remove about 1/4" of the fatactory tab from from the vacuum pump.

I then tested the winch under weight to see if it flexed at all. It did not move or flex.

I have about 3 mm of clearance between my winch and the vacuum pump brace.

I don't like moving parts if need be.

Next is the rear bumper from rock Hard.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know i'm raising this thread from the dead, but I was planning on getting a non-winch mount XHD front bumper. Is the vacuum pump in the way when it is winch mount only?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sweet. Who makes the kit? Or who'd you buy the bumper from? Is it really only that bracket?
Yep, well 2 brackets :). That is it. The kit came with the RR XHD bumper. When you install that bumper (w/winch) you need to cut the front tab off of the old Vacuum pump mount. Then a couple bolts and a hose trim and your done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts