Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome plastic ring broke on my shift knob. I don't want to replace it with the stock knob again. Whats your take on the best after market shift knob and any help on how to replace it would be much appreciated

Attachments

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Use a flat tip screw driver to pry up the disc with the shift pattern on it. You will then see a metal retaining clip. Pop the off and the knob will pull straight up.

I have the Rock Knob shift knob.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
daggo66 said:
Use a flat tip screw driver to pry up the disc with the shift pattern on it. You will then see a metal retaining clip. Pop the off and the knob will pull straight up.

I have the Rock Knob shift knob.
This is what I see when I pull up my shift pattern I don't see a metal retaining clip

Attachments

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
This is what I see when I pull up my shift pattern I don't see a metal retaining clip
I forgot, there's another layer to get to the clip. Pull back the rubber sides to get past that part. Or you can just grab it firmly and yank it hard.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Zed said:
x2.. looking at that one myself. Was it hard to put on? Is it "stable" or does it slip/wiggle?
Havent done it myself yet if you do a forum search there is a thread where a fellow forumite takes you step by step through his install. Hardest part seems to be removal of the stock knob.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dodge said:
Havent done it myself yet if you do a forum search there is a thread where a fellow forumite takes you step by step through his install. Hardest part seems to be removal of the stock knob.
Anyway you can post a link to that thread? / what did you search?

·
Registered
75 Posts
dodge said:
I have one installed. Very solid biggest issue was getting the factory knob off. Just know that it's just a metal stick under all that plastic. Do what you have to do, then install the drake.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm about to replace the stock one this weekend. I'm hearing just pull up hard and the stock with come off. Any other suggestions/warning before I pull up hard? I have visions of it coming off, breaking and sent me through the top of the jeep all simultaneously.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Put the Jeep in second gear brace yourself with your legs locked and pull with as much force as you can. The knob will come right off, I was actually surprised it came of as easy as it did and I just chuckled because I kept reading all these threads were people punched themselves in the face and others fought to get it off but mine literally pulled right off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
RB-10rubicon where did you find that shift knob and the set screw adapter?

When I search for it on both the sickspeed website and eBay it comes up as being already threaded but we dont have threads and would need the set screw adapter like you have.

If you can give details of where you got it please, Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm about to replace the stock one this weekend. I'm hearing just pull up hard and the stock with come off. Any other suggestions/warning before I pull up hard? I have visions of it coming off, breaking and sent me through the top of the jeep all simultaneously.
make it easier on yourself....if you are not going to keep the stock knob, then lock some vise grips around the stock knob and gently torque it left/right a few times...then it will slip right off. no need to pull any pins or do anything else fancy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
RB-10rubicon where did you find that shift knob and the set screw adapter?

When I search for it on both the sickspeed website and eBay it comes up as being already threaded but we dont have threads and would need the set screw adapter like you have.

If you can give details of where you got it please, Thanks

The Sickspeed knobs for the JK are not threaded. They come with 3 different plastic sleeves to make the knob fit securely on the shaft, then the set screws hold it in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Did you find a replacement KNob? It happened to me too. I went to the dealer and they sais $70 to replace for the same crappy knob. I want to customize it but the knobs I like are threaded. I have 2012 Wrangler (the arctic edition). thanks, sasha

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, Did you find a replacement KNob? It happened to me too. I went to the dealer and they sais $70 to replace for the same crappy knob. I want to customize it but the knobs I like are threaded. I have 2012 Wrangler (the arctic edition). thanks, sasha
a little bit of an outdated thread, but This happened to me on my arctic too recently, was curious if you ended up purchasing a new knob entirely or is there a part number for just the chrome plated plastic piece?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts