Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer to finalize the little details today. They informed me that the Mopar Bilstein lift that I ordered with the package is not yet available for the 2012 Rubicon. They said the previous part numbers for the 2011 would not work because of "they think" changes caused by the Pentastar engine. They weren't sure what these changes are nor did they know when it would be available. Can anybody else shed any light on that sitchashion'?

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Somewhat right,

I know the Mopar won't work, I believe it's got to do with the exhaust.

Consider aftermarket??
I don't think anyone knows if the previous MOPAR 2in lift works with the 2012's and no one has posted that they tried it and it failed at least from what I've seen on the forums. It is currently not listed in the MOPAR Sept accessories catalog. Press releases for the COD state that a 2 inch MOPAR lift will be an option.

I have not seen anyone post an aftermarket spring/shock lift for the 2012 than did not have problems with the exhaust including the AEV (3.5in) lift.

I certainly would be interested in a 2 inch to max 3.5 inch lift that includes springs, arms, shocks that does work without striking the exhaust and I hope someone jumps in with info on one that does work. Also if anyone has info on when the MOPAR kit will be available for the 2012 and a part number. :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2012 JK lift issue video.

As of today when I picked up my 2012, the dealer was unable to get an answer from anyone about the MOPAR lift that is available for the COD. However, the problem is with the exhaust crossover being mounted farther forward, and the front driveline being close enough to hit when the front axle drops. The aftermarket lift folks at Tera Flex are selling exhaust system adaptors that install on the exhaust manifold ends that adds two or three inches of length to the exhaust and moves the crossover farther to the rear.
The video that they have demonstrates the issue and the fix.

TeraFlex Tech: 2012 Jeep JK Exhaust Spacer Install - YouTube!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Lots of interest in Mopar lifts lately. Not sure why.

"Mopar: You can get better, but you'll never pay more."

:confused:
Take 20% off MSRP.
Compare apples to apples for a good quality 2 inch lift with
Bilstein Shocks
Coil Springs
Front Track Bar
Brake Line Brackets
Cam Bolts
Rear Track Bar Bracket
Steering Stabilizer
Shocks
Sway Bar Links
Bump Stops

Price is not that very far off. Add in to equation that many people can have these installed by dealer if they don't do their own work and the dealer will basically cover the parts and labor because the owner has a particularly good dealer and it doesn't seem so far out that there is an interest and market for the MOPAR product.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
KarlG said:
Take 20% off MSRP.
Bilstein Shocks
Coil Springs
Front Track Bar
Brake Line Brackets
Cam Bolts
Rear Track Bar Bracket
Steering Stabilizer
Shocks
Sway Bar Links
Bump Stops

Price is not that very far off. Add in to equation that many people can have these installed by dealer if they don't do their own work and the dealer will basically cover the parts and labor because the owner has a particularly good dealer and it doesn't seem so far out that there is an interest and market for the MOPAR product.

Outside of complicated "one off" situations (ie, my buddy is a tech at the dealer, or the dealer is a family friend, etc.), I've never seen them offered by a dealer at anything below retail much less 20% off, and I've never heard of a dealer doing an install for anything less than 50% more than the market rate. It's always an exercise in wildly overpaying.

Now, if you don't MIND overpaying for whatever reason--convenience, etc--then so be it. But somehow I doubt that's the rationale behind all these Mopar lift posts lately.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Outside of complicated "one off" situations (ie, my buddy is a tech at the dealer, or the dealer is a family friend, etc.), I've never seen them offered by a dealer at anything below retail much less 20% off, and I've never heard of a dealer doing an install for anything less than 50% more than the market rate. It's always an exercise in wildly overpaying.

Now, if you don't MIND overpaying for whatever reason--convenience, etc--then so be it. But somehow I doubt that's the rationale behind all these Mopar lift posts lately.
Luckily, my dealer, and perhaps other's, is not at all like the ones you describe :thumb:

No news on a lift for the 2012 other than what I posted above, i.e. no news yet or part number or price.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Wait, so your dealer is selling you a Mopar lift at 20% off retail price and installing it for free?
1. No MOPAR lifts available for 2012 or prices available yet.

2. Labor rate at dealer is @ $75/hr which is average in this neck of the woods for garages and specialty shops. Higher labor rates are typical on some import/premium brand dealers like Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW etc. MOPAR lists install times in their catalogs for various accessories.

3. Not sure what lift I'll go with depending on price and quality. If MOPAR produces a 2 inch lift kit with the specs of the previous kit, perhaps with exhaust spacers and the price is similar to previous, it will get my consideration and comparison to similar quality lift kits. I do not compare coil/shock/stabilizer etc. etc complete kits to budget boost spacer lifts for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dealer was pricing the lift to me at cost, charging me for the install, as part of the purchase of the vehicle. That is why I was going to go with Mopar,,, if your dealer will do it as part of the deal at time of sale, and a lot will I think, it's a little less expensive alternative. Like Karl says it is comparable quality, and fit, to any other out there. The cost of buying one independently and installing it yourself or having it installed is probably subject to the people you buy it from or have it installed by like anything else.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have found my local dealer to be extremely flexible with regards to pricing for mopar parts, however I have never negotiated labor pricing and doubt they would do much of a discount there....but ya never know until you ask.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Type of people that buy Mopar lifts= people that want to mall crawl and don't know much about working on a jeep or that they can get better for cheaper and usually don't know what the jeep wave is. :D

-Optional items- 20inch Rock star rims, chrome accessories and a snorkel.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
jeepr said:
Type of people that buy Mopar lifts= people that want to mall crawl and don't know much about working on a jeep or that they can get better for cheaper and usually don't know what the jeep wave is. :D
Rofl +1

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

-Optional items- 20inch Rock star rims, chrome accessories and a snorkel.
Do you want to impart some of your wisdom/advice on the subject or you just here to flame folks who are trying to learn something? I'm old enough to have worked on the originals, and have many times. But these are quite a bit less and a lot different. I'm also a little too old to be laying on my back wrenching. Now I have to leave that to the guys who still have the ability. So speak up if you have something useful to share, and care to, I'm still not too old to learn something.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Do you want to impart some of your wisdom/advice on the subject or you just here to flame folks who are trying to learn something? I'm old enough to have worked on the originals, and have many times. But these are quite a bit less and a lot different. I'm also a little too old to be laying on my back wrenching. Now I have to leave that to the guys who still have the ability. So speak up if you have something useful to share, and care to, I'm still not too old to learn something.
Have you checked out any local 4x4 shops? You could get a Teraflex 3" lift or a Rock Krawler 2.5 or Rock Krawler 3.5 lift for less money than the Mopar lift and those lifts will be more functional. There are many good lift/suspension companies out there that actually engineer their systems. The last time I investigated the Mopar lifts, I discovered that they were reboxed Rubicon Express lifts and they were even more costly than buying the Rubicon Express lifts directly from Rubicon Express.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you checked out any local 4x4 shops? You could get a Teraflex 3" lift or a Rock Krawler 2.5 or Rock Krawler 3.5 lift for less money than the Mopar lift and those lifts will be more functional. There are many good lift/suspension companies out there that actually engineer their systems. The last time I investigated the Mopar lifts, I discovered that they were reboxed Rubicon Express lifts and they were even more costly than buying the Rubicon Express lifts directly from Rubicon Express.
Closest shop to me is a little over fifty miles. I pretty much talked myself out of the Mopar kit when I finally got to take a look at one. And, I wasn't very impressed by the lack of answers I got from the dealer when I was looking into ordering the Rubicon. I had just about settled on the Teraflex 3" just based on the fact that they were the only ones who would give me an honest/definite answer on the exhaust fix. I'm not rteally sure I like the idea of the adaptors they have come up with, It would probably be best just to weld up a new pipe and make it the right length, to set it farther back, closer to the cross member and drop it an inch or so to make even more room and still stay away from the trans pan. I'm gonna look at the Rock Krawler kit a little more now that you threw their name into the hat. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Take 20% off MSRP.
Bilstein Shocks
Coil Springs
Front Track Bar
Brake Line Brackets
Cam Bolts
Rear Track Bar Bracket
Steering Stabilizer
Shocks
Sway Bar Links
Bump Stops

For a 2 inch lift you don't need all that, track bars, yes I would get them, Steering stabilizer, and shocks no. Teraflex 2.5 inch lift, get shocks, front track bar and you're done.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Closest shop to me is a little over fifty miles. I pretty much talked myself out of the Mopar kit when I finally got to take a look at one. And, I wasn't very impressed by the lack of answers I got from the dealer when I was looking into ordering the Rubicon. I had just about settled on the Teraflex 3" just based on the fact that they were the only ones who would give me an honest/definite answer on the exhaust fix. I'm not rteally sure I like the idea of the adaptors they have come up with, It would probably be best just to weld up a new pipe and make it the right length, to set it farther back, closer to the cross member and drop it an inch or so to make even more room and still stay away from the trans pan. I'm gonna look at the Rock Krawler kit a little more now that you threw their name into the hat. Thanks for the feedback!
You're welcome and good luck with your choice. I went through the same decision making process and narrowed it down to Teraflex and Rock Krawler. I opted for Rock Krawler because I got more suspension for the money and they have a lifetime warranty on the major suspension parts that they call "hard parts". Their control arms are also solid instead of hollow tubing that other companies use, but I don't know if that is an advantage or not. With their lifetime warranty, I don't think it matters.

If you are looking for a 2" lift, check out the Rock Krawler JK 2.5" Stock Mod or their JK 2.5" Max Travel suspensions. Depending on how much money you want to spend, those systems might work for you. Search the forums for other people that have installed the lift that you want to get their opinions. The http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jk-lift-reviews-25157.html on this site can be helpful, but I didn't find them to be very informative. I was looking for pictures with suspension articulation to get a better idea of wheel travel and additional comments that weren't in the Lift review thread. Most of the posts in that thread show pictures of Jeeps lifted, but not pictures of them in action. With only a few exceptions, just about everyone that posts about their lift, won't give it a negative review because they think they have the best lift.

With that in mind, I'm getting a Rock Krawler 3.5" suspension put on my Jeep in a few days. Is it the best lift out there, I don't know. It was the best bang for the buck and will work for me. You might come to a different conclusion and go with another company. That is the beauty of choice. Good Luck with your choice. The decision and researching is half the fun. If I had mad money to spend, I'd get coilovers front and rear. Before you buy, check the vendors on this site to see if any of them are running a sale. I bought mine at 15% off with free shipping and a few other goodies thrown in for free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts