Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 has a different style oil dipstick, it is like a stiff cable with a flat metal end attached to read the level. The end is etched with min and max marks but the max is at the very top of the little flat part. If the level was high I don't think you could tell because it would show only on the little cable. My 2011 had the normal flat spring steel dipstick. Is this how everyone's 12 is set up and any issues with it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
That's one of Jeep's weight-saving features...helps make the '12 faster.

Kidding. :D

Mine's the same. If you wipe the dipstick (dipwire?) off good then push it back in and check it, you can tell where the oil level is. If you're in a garage you might have to hold it so you can get a little glare on the oil...at least that's what I have to do in my cave.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Mines setup the same. I'm able to see the oil level easily after an oil change. KBwolf is correct...it adds at least 2mph and .1 mpgs :)

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Yep, it's a cable. I've seen them used on other vehicles for a long time now.

It's actually pretty clever, as the old blade style ones could become bent up over time, making them less accurate. The old style ones also had touble negotiating curves in the dipstick tubes unless put in the right way.

The fact that it's a cable and of cylindrical cross-section makes it kind of perfect for the job.
It is a little different to read, but it's not impossible, and it is accurate.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm actual happy it's the wire style. I have no problem reading the levels with it either. I haven't actually traced the path it takes, but it feels like it takes a pretty wild bend that would easily hang up and bend a traditional style dipstick over time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just different than I have seen before. I was in a dark garage so it was a bit tough to see.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I've started hanging a work light from my hood to check it...my garage might as well be lit by candles.

No more than two.

The little birthday kind. :D

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
So...
How do you "read" this dipstick?
Anywhere in crosshatches is good?
Where is full/low/etc.?
If your oil is in the safe zone (flat, cross-hatched area), you're good. If the oil doesn't show at all on the flat part of the dipstick, you want to add oil till it shows just at the bottom (which means it'll be near the top of the safe zone when you run the engine). If oil level is too high, it'll show on the cable itself.

Just make sure you wipe down the cable well before checking. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've started hanging a work light from my hood to check it...my garage might as well be lit by candles.

No more than two.

The little birthday kind. :D
Too bad you don't have 14 more, you could had been this guy...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts