Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I did my first at home oil change last weekend. 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and a Napa Gold oil filter from Napa auto parts. I got into the middle of the oil change (oil drained, no other vehicles home) and realized my shiny new oil filter did NOT come with a new O ring for the filter housing cap. So I made sure the old one was clean and went a head and put everything back together.

Is that O ring really a big deal or can I get away with not changing it for one change? I guess I'll be getting filters from the dealer from now on since the Napa ones aren't coming with the O ring.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It will be fine. Those O-rings are pretty durable.

·
Registered
863 Posts
All filter come with a new o-ring. If it didn't have it then someone took it or something else happen.

Yes, it is a big deal since it prevents the oil from coming out onto the floor. It's up to you on what to do. I would just check it once & awhile make sure it's not leaking if you decide not to do anything.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've probably done 10 changes on my '12. (30,500m) Only changed the o-ring probably 2 or 3 times. The big thing is not to overtorque the 24mm plastic cover. If you don't torque it enough or it drips from crushing and damaging a new or old o-ring, you'll smell it.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
All filter come with a new o-ring. If it didn't have it then someone took it or something else happen.

Yes, it is a big deal since it prevents the oil from coming out onto the floor. It's up to you on what to do. I would just check it once & awhile make sure it's not leaking if you decide not to do anything.
orings can be reused if they are not damaged. I have a reusable oil filter for another vehicle that I have been using for over 100,000 miles to date and counting and still using the original oring. I examine it each time to make sure it is not torn or damaged and reuse it.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
It will be fine. Those O-rings are pretty durable.
orings can be reused if they are not damaged. I have a reusable oil filter for another vehicle that I have been using for over 100,000 miles to date and counting and still using the original oring. I examine it each time to make sure it is not torn or damaged and reuse it.
^This.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll make sure to change it next time but it sounds like I'm ok for now. Yeah I thought they were all supposed to come with one but mine didn't. It came from the stock room upstairs and not off the shelf so it wasn't like someone just came along and stole the o ring out of the box while it sat on the shelf. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else using Napa Gold filters has or has not had an o ring in their box.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
The last filer I bought had an extra o ring in the box. LOL

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
When we first got our Jeep we found one or two manufacturers that offered a part number with and without an o-ring.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
863 Posts
Wait, the 2012 are cartridge filters?

I'm switching to SYN oil as well since I don't have anymore free oil changes at the dealer. And I'm at 14,000.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wait, the 2012 are cartridge filters?
Yep, you don't get the joy of the hot oil dripping down and splashing off the axle.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I just ordered a Wix, as per everyone's recommendation. It's the same thing as Napa Gold I believe. I thought it would have metal end-caps, but it didn't. I think other Wix filters I've bought for previous vehicles did have metal end-caps.

I'm switching to synthetic @ 3000 miles.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
AFAIK Wix makes them for Mopar and Napa, so they should all be the same.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yep, you don't get the joy of the hot oil dripping down and splashing off the axle.
But it still spills out from the plastic ones.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I just ordered a Wix, as per everyone's recommendation. It's the same thing as Napa Gold I believe. I thought it would have metal end-caps, but it didn't. I think other Wix filters I've bought for previous vehicles did have metal end-caps.

I'm switching to synthetic @ 3000 miles.
I've used the OEM, Napa, and Wix. Buy the Wix from Filter1.com. They all look the same and caliper the same. They are about $4, get some air filters (about $10) - $50 gets free shipping.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've used the OEM, Napa, and Wix. Buy the Wix from Filter1.com. They all look the same and caliper the same. They are about $4, get some air filters (about $10) - $50 gets free shipping.
Yep that's exactly where I ordered it from. As far as air filters, I've got a K&N in there at the moment :hide:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts