Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am wanting to soon install my oil drain plug valve (to obviously make the oil change process easier on me, however while searching I am seeing varied pieces of info for the weight of oil on the 3.6L V in my 2012 Wrangler 2 door, however I am told that it is 5W30, so I am getting some mixed information, from other sites that say it is a 0W20, and others say it is a 10W30, so if anyone can help me just ensure I got the correct info that would he helpful as I don't want to accidently put the wrong type in and cause damage. I have a 5W40 which is laying in my garage that I would use if able.:pullinghair:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok would a 5W40 be safe to use or is that going to thick?

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
ok would a 5W40 be safe to use or is that going to thick?
A 0w40 or 5w40, or 10w40 will work, of those I'd use 0W40.

2012 calls for 5W30, which is what I would use instead of the 40 grades.

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that too thick, or if I was in a pinch and needed to is it safe to use, seeing as it is only 10 higher then the 5W30?

·
Registered
726 Posts
A 0w40 or 5w40, or 10w40 will work, of those I'd use 0W40.

2012 calls for 5W30, which is what I would use instead of the 40 grades.
Did anything change from 2012 to 2016? If not, I’m switching to PUP 5W30.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The fill cap on my 2012 JKU says 5W-30. I am using Mobile 1 5w-30. I do get valve chatter on cold starts for 1-2 seconds.

Chris

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,976 Posts
The change in recommended viscosity in 2013 was to satisfy the Feds CAFE. The engine is the same.

I have run PUP 5W30 in my 2013 3.6 from day one.

The new pentastar 3.6 in the JL, recommends 0W20 viscosity..FYI

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
The design of the cylinder heads changed, and to get CAFE credits they used 5w20 oil after 2012. 5W30 is fine, in fact they say so in the owners manual. PUP 5W30 is a great choice, I used it in mine since it had 1,000 miles on it.

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
This could be misleading. Otherwise what has changed?
You'd have to consult a parts book and do a comparison. I know for certain the heads were redesigned between 2012 and 2016, the two years in question here. Then when they did the PUG upgrade the heads were done again, different fuel injectors, the engine was made lighter, oil sump smaller, along with a slew of other changes.

With regard to oil, the 2012 called for 5w30. When they went for the CAFE credits they tested the engines with 5W20. So they changed the spec to 5W20, legally they have to do that in order to get the CAFE credits. The fill cap must read what oil was used to get the credits. Here's something you can do if you're uncertain, go to different parts of the world and see what oil they spec for the 3.6L Pentastar engine where CAFE credits don't exist.

This is from the 2018 Owner's Manual, the verbiage is very similar to my 2016 manual.

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.6L Engine
Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment” illustration in this section.

NOTE:Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA
Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or
equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil
meeting MS-6395 is not available.

This debate is on going. Here's some more good discussion on the topic. https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/5w20-oil-viscosity-2220137.html That's just one of many.

At the end of the day if you have any doubts, do your homework and run what makes you feel comfortable based on your findings. That's what I did.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You'd have to consult a parts book and do a comparison. I know for certain the heads were redesigned between 2012 and 2016, the two years in question here. Then when they did the PUG upgrade the heads were done again, different fuel injectors, the engine was made lighter, oil sump smaller, along with a slew of other changes.
I'm asking exactly because I did consult a parts book and I did look for changes and found NO such parts changes.

The ONLY thing that comes to mind is the 2012 cylinder head issue, that was purportedly fixed. But again, other than the fix, NO revised part numbers involved as far as I know.

The PUG upgrade is a whole different story (actually a whole different engine, which I prefer to call Pentastar II). As we all know, JK/JKU were not part of that upgrade and as far as Wrangler goes the upgraded Pentastar II arrived in the JL/JLU first.

And like you correctly said, in it's first years, Pentastar's design called for 5W30. So unless someone can show me what parts were changed to justify 5W20 (other than the aforementioned CAFE Standard accounting reason), I will continue to use 5W30.

That said, I fully agree with everyone who insist to use what the factory engineers recommend. Except in this case 5W20 appears to be rather a recommendation that is based on a compromised management decision, that factory engineers might not even fully agree with.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Reactions: Davidlorrain

·
Registered
726 Posts
The fill cap on my 2012 JKU says 5W-30. I am using Mobile 1 5w-30. I do get valve chatter on cold starts for 1-2 seconds.

Chris
Try another brand, I have that same issue the one time I tried M1, swapped to another brand, problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
I'm asking exactly because I did consult a parts book and I did look for changes and found NO such parts changes.

The ONLY thing that comes to mind is the 2012 cylinder head issue, that was purportedly fixed. But again, other than the fix, NO revised part numbers involved as far as I know.

The PUG upgrade is a whole different story (actually a whole different engine, which I prefer to call Pentastar II). As we all know, JK/JKU were not part of that upgrade and as far as Wrangler goes the upgraded Pentastar II arrived in the JL/JLU first.

And like you correctly said, in it's first years, Pentastar's design called for 5W30. So unless someone can show me what parts were changed to justify 5W20 (other than the aforementioned CAFE Standard accounting reason), I will continue to use 5W30.

That said, I fully agree with everyone who insist to use what the factory engineers recommend. Except in this case 5W20 appears to be rather a recommendation that is based on a compromised management decision, that factory engineers might not even fully agree with.
I agree with you. I also did quite a bit of research, and spoke with people who know a lot more than I do about engines and oil prior to making my choice. I dumped the 5W20 within 1,000 miles for 5W30 and I'm not looking back. Having said that if I owned a Pentastar II as you call it I'd be running a 30 grade in that engine too.

I have a friend from another message board in Kuwait, they run 5W40 in the Pentastar and Pentastar II over there. No CAFE. IIRC that's what many of the dealers use for oil changes. According to him the 20 grade oil sounds like a ticking time bomb in that intense heat.

Reactions: Wrangleur

·
Registered
623 Posts
Your 2012 calls for 5W30 viscosity. So why would you want to use a different weight?

In a warm climate, do people feel that 10W30 is the same as 5W30, or is 10W30 a bit heavier? Since the grading system is not that precise, does it depend on the brand?

The rationale for 10W30 would be fewer friction modifiers to get a lower volatility rating.

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
In a warm climate, do people feel that 10W30 is the same as 5W30, or is 10W30 a bit heavier? Since the grading system is not that precise, does it depend on the brand?

The rationale for 10W30 would be fewer friction modifiers to get a lower volatility rating.
A 30 grade oil ranges between 9.3 and 12.5( cSt) at 100C. You can have a 5W30 oil that is "heavier" than a 10W30 at operating temperature. You can also have, heavier 5W30 oils from one brand to another. Pennzoil Ultra is one of the thinner 5W30 oils. High Mile {HM} oils and Heavy Duty Engine Oil {HDEO} tends to be thicker, than Passenger Car Motor Oil {PCMO}.

10W30 oils tend to be a little more shear resistant than a 0W or 5W30, but that isn't always the case, base stocks and additive packs come in to play and can change things a bit regarding shear.

So in answer to your question it can be brand specific and product specific as in the case of HDEO and HM oils being thicker for the grade. It is not as simple and cut and dry as one might think.

HTH

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with you. I also did quite a bit of research, and spoke with people who know a lot more than I do about engines and oil prior to making my choice. I dumped the 5W20 within 1,000 miles for 5W30 and I'm not looking back. Having said that if I owned a Pentastar II as you call it I'd be running a 30 grade in that engine too.

I have a friend from another message board in Kuwait, they run 5W40 in the Pentastar and Pentastar II over there. No CAFE. IIRC that's what many of the dealers use for oil changes. According to him the 20 grade oil sounds like a ticking time bomb in that intense heat.
from that comment it sounds like your friend is running a 5W40, which would be akin to what I was asking about switching to the 5W40 my self, but I am like i said in process of gathering data and learning something I am no sure about, as I am not on the oil change period yet....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts