Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible and easy to remove the rear subwoofer when I want to load up a lot of gear for the trail, but then easily reinstall it when I go back to urban commuting? I.e., is there something like a plug-in a wiring connection that can be removed and reconnected easily?

I think I can fit four of my big tubs in the back (two stacks of two) with it gone, but only two (one stack ot two) with it on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure about 2012 but on 2010 there's 3 bolts and 1 plug
VERY easy

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try it soon. I just didn't want to ripping it off if there was a chance I would screw it up.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took mine out for a camping trip once, didn't notice any difference so never bothered to put it back.
Interesting. I'll try to do a comparison too. Were you listening to Chopin's piano solos, the Beastie Boys, or something in between?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Is it possible and easy to remove the rear subwoofer when I want to load up a lot of gear for the trail, but then easily reinstall it when I go back to urban commuting? I.e., is there something like a plug-in a wiring connection that can be removed and reconnected easily?

I think I can fit four of my big tubs in the back (two stacks of two) with it gone, but only two (one stack ot two) with it on.
I had to take mine out yesterday, along with entire seat belt assembly, to install the brackets for my ORH fastback top. You'll have to unscrew the two tie-down hooks that hold the entire plastic base. Also, pry up on the on the one-piece seatbelt guide, then GENTLY pry the two halves of the seatbelt assembly apart. (I was gentle, and still broke some kinda plastic piece, which went flying across my garage...everything went back together fine, though.) :D

I didn't unplug mine, but it's the same kinda plug you see throughout the Jeep. Should be no problem.

It's a little bit of a PITA, but one of those things that, once you do it, it'll take about 5 minutes next time. :thumb:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to take mine out yesterday, along with entire seat belt assembly, to install the brackets for my ORH fastback top. You'll have to unscrew the two tie-down hooks that hold the entire plastic base. Also, pry up on the on the one-piece seatbelt guide, then GENTLY pry the two halves of the seatbelt assembly apart. (I was gentle, and still broke some kinda plastic piece, which went flying across my garage...everything went back together fine, though.) :D

I didn't unplug mine, but it's the same kinda plug you see throughout the Jeep. Should be no problem.

It's a little bit of a PITA, but one of those things that, once you do it, it'll take about 5 minutes next time. :thumb:
Thanks kbbwolf. Funny about the unknown flying plasic object. Apparently, it was expendable.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Interesting. I'll try to do a comparison too. Were you listening to Chopin's piano solos, the Beastie Boys, or something in between?
AM Talk radio :D. Nah, rock mostly, just never noticed but I run with the rear open pretty much all year.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
EAD Offroad said:
AM Talk radio :D. Nah, rock mostly, just never noticed but I run with the rear open pretty much all year.
Did you ever adjust the bass treble etc.? I have the bass up on mine and I can feel the bass hit while I'm in the drivers seat and it also shake all mirrors badly

·
Registered
399 Posts
A nut or 2 and ur in business.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone who has removed their subwoofer also have the auxiliary 12V power outlet on the same plastic that covers/contains the suwoofer? Is this a complication? Or does it just come off with the woofer?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Does anyone who has removed their subwoofer also have the auxiliary 12V power outlet on the same plastic that covers/contains the suwoofer? Is this a complication? Or does it just come off with the woofer?
I believe it unplugs, as well. Like I said, I didn't need to unplug mine, just move it a little to attach the mounts for my new rear tailgate bar...but there was a cable attached to the 12V outlet. Don't remember seeing a plug, but I'd be surprised if there was no way to unhook it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Did you ever adjust the bass treble etc.? I have the bass up on mine and I can feel the bass hit while I'm in the drivers seat and it also shake all mirrors badly
Oh yeah, I felt the base, just never really noticed it sound any better without the sub. Again I leave the rear open virtually all year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The sub and 12V plug harness is together so it's a non-issue to unplug. I've had mine off for the 3rd row seat install and haven't put it back (no room with the 3rd row in :) )

I didn't notice a significant difference in bass output without it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am with you on that. I'd use the OE trim piece from a Sport, but I don't think it has provisions for the 12V plug.

--Sean

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally got around to doing this, and am happy that I did. It increased the parctical cargo space in my rear by about a third.

Now, I can fit four of these types of bins in the back instead of just two (as I did with my previous vehicle):

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah it's simple unscrew the 3 bolts then unplug 2 little plugs twined into 1 and your done just don't damage the wires when loading er up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts