Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Ive been meaning to start this thread for the past 3 years...in other words this may be very slow moving lol. I bought my 2012 JK sport brand new, it is my first jeep, and i love it! Anyways first thing i did was 2.5'' RC lift threw some 20'' XD's and wrapped them with 33x12.5 Nitto Trail grapplers. IMG_0018.JPG
Also i got the rugged ridge light bar with 5 7'' HID's Sorry this is the closet pic i can find to stock. After three years with the lift and tires i can say it was a horrible experience. 20's extremely rough ride, power loss is a bit excessive with the 3.21 also. Though the 2.5'' RC did hold up pretty well, seeing as it was just a spring lift, really doesn't mean much lol.
IMG_0024.jpg
Next i added a smittybilt XRC front bumper with the quadratec Q11000 winch. I have had no issues with this setup and i really like the look. Its a Modular bumper so the end caps and all accessories are easily removed. I was skeptical about quadratec products but the winch has been well worth the money.
IMG_0063.jpg
I was able to anchor to a tree and pull our dump truck out. BOOM take that (insert least favorite brand here). And now we are up to current day, initially i did no research and just went with what the shop said was "good stuff", Now i have researched and read countless threads and i have an idea of where I'm headed with this Jeep. I have parts on order RK 3.5'' X-factor, headlights, a bunch of relays and fuse boxes, flat fenders, OME shocks etc.. This will be round 2 on the build and i plan to do it right, thanks to all of you who have posted and educated me with your threads. Ive already installed the flat fenders and sold the 20's but i'll post all that tomorrow. heres a few more pics....
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0078.jpg

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Build threads are always good, no matter how long they take to start. :)

Nice jeep! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next mod is a hood mount hi-lift. Got it off Quadratec and it seems to do good, nothing has come loose and the mounts are very sturdy. I don't have any pics of the install but i had to cut some rubber platforms for the mounts to sit on so they didn't scratch up my hood over time. There was a note and some plates for welding to the underneath of the hood hinges, apparently some people have busted the hinges off road. It seems like it would take some serious back and forth jerking to get the hinges to give, but someone managed it.
IMG_0064.jpg
My Rugged Ridge Hurricane flat fenders came in and I've put those on as well. Now with these being plastic i had some fears that there would be little things not right with them and fresh out of the box the light cut out was miss shaped. I wasn't to worried about it though, i can always heat it up and form it back or just glue it to the light bracket. That was the only issue with the fenders themselves, couple things i didn't like, they have these nylon anchors that hold the rear fenders in two holes, the screws that go into them are fine threads and don't seem to bite very well. As i was putting the wheel well back in the rear the force outward from me trying to wedge it in popped those screws out a bit. I figured once the fender was up you'd stick the anchors in and they would hold the fender, but theres not enough space on the lip of the anchor to take on the thickness of the fender and the sheet metal on the jeep. Directions were easy but also pretty vague, i had to back track a few times. But they look great and are extremely sturdy in the areas that daily see some kind of force. I also took the caps off the bumper to get an aggressive look. Here are some pictures of the work..
IMG_0194.jpg
IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O yea and my shocks came in Whoop Whoop! few more weeks on the RK kit but i should have lights, synthetic winch rope, rear table and a few other little things by friday.........and now I'm broke....lol and heres a few more of the fenders since the max is 5 a post
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got some parts in today, Quadratec LED headlights and some quick fists for another project that all the parts haven't come in for.
IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

Now i also ordered some angel eyes from Diode Dynamics completely forgetting that i had ordered the quadratecs. The eyes come in this saturday and we will see if i am able to make it work. Might be doing a little modding to the headlamp. Im going to put the new lights in and see how it works, if i like them i'll keep them and do what i need to to get the angel eyes in and secure.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So that was probably the easiest mod i have ever done. I have read some great reviews about the headlights and i can't say anything negative up to this point either. Solid feeling headlight also. The grill comes off very easy and the only tricky part was there wasn't much room between the grill and my winch to pull out the bottom tabs. Theres one tab above each turn signal and it seems if you push on the back of the tab it keeps from possible damage to the plastic housing.
IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope that's Root Beer in the whataburger cup, they have the best root beer!
hahaha your not the first to say that either, I've actually never had their root beer. Used to drink it as a kid but now I'm big on sweet tea, and they do pretty well at that also.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice! Where'd your light bar go? I thought it looked good.
I agree i think the light bars on jeeps look great, I backed into my carport one night and forgot about the lights. Yup put three dings above the windshield and decided it was time to come off. Its the rugged ridge bar and lights, no whistling and pretty quiet but the drag from the 7'' lights lost me 4.5 miles per gallon and with as much as i travel that was too much. Also they don't have the perfect setting for direction, it was half a click to high or half a click too low. With them on the bumper i can set them perfect to match the headlights. Still have the light bar btw just collecting dust in the garage.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got some new parts in, Decided against the Quadratec LED's and went with the conversion kit from Diode. I have their angel eye kit and it wouldn't work with the LED's that's the only reason I took them out. Got my Teraflex rear table, starting putting it up only to realize they use some off the wall drill bit size???? I don't own many drill bits so it might just be "off my wall". I have a bunch of relays, fuse blocks and power distributors so i'll be building that setup now. Still waiting on my grill (which was the reason I got the angel eyes) and my RK kit. RK kit should ship today so i'll be in great shape at the end of the week. And hopefully i'll have the wallet feeling better and can look into re-gear and roof rack. I'll post a short install and pics for the lights and rear table tonight, for some reason I cant get the pics on my work computer.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Looks good nice upgrade on the looking forward to seeing it installed

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before i get into the install of the lights i have a few little things I've changed or upgraded....First up i added some Quadratec grab handles, i went with the velcro ones instead of the bolt ons...why i don't know lol. But they serve their purpose. Changed out my winch cable for a synthetic rope and i have no idea why i didn't do that sooner. So much more user friendly at least for what i need. I read a thread on here about these angry bird grills, which are similar to the wild boar grills but have an angled brow instead of a straight one, plus a better price tag. But.....dont fit picture perfect, luckily its plastic and you can persuade it a bit.
heres som pics, i also added in the fuse blocks and such....
IMG_0276_2.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excited to see the halos! How was the install?
So now onto the lights, Hasson the install was pretty easy. With the stock headlights anyways, I only had to heat them once for the lens to come right off. I baked them for 7 min at 225 degrees, Pulled off the lens then let it cool (it was a bit warm) Once it had cooled i drilled out the vent hole with a 5/16th bit, you may have to move the bit around to make the opening slightly bigger but not much. Once i had them drilled out i placed the Angel eyes in, it doesn't sit flush all the way around, the reflective back is raised in some parts and to get the eye centered it makes the top and bottom of the eye not touch. Once it was centered i taped it on the top and bottom to keep it from moving, Mixed up some 5 min gorilla epoxy (clear epoxy) and just let it run off the mixing stick onto the face of the eye. If the epoxy spreads over the lights on the eye it doesn't make much of a difference but try and keep it to the far edge. I did about a 2 inch strip on the left and right and its not going anywhere. Most of the videos i saw on youtube wired the eyes in with the power or signal from the parking lamps (it gives you all the connectors to do this) but i decided to wire it to my own switch because i don't want them on with the headlights. I also did the HID conversion kit at the same time which is cheaper then buying a new headlamp (but i did that too). One half ass complaint i had was neither of these kits came with directions. Once i had looked at the instructions it was clear why they didn't put them in there, basically match up the plugs if it fits it goes together lol. Diode was extremely helpful and the quality of the kits is on point. Now this is an expedition vehicle or will be lol so i didn't secure any of these wires permanently just with velcro, when you see the pictures you'll see what i mean. A snorkel is in the near future and ill clean all this up once i have that air box out. All in all I'm am very satisfied with the products and this will help me in no way camping lol maybe it'll help scare off the bears...:lmao: IMG_0271_2.jpg

IMG_0277_2.jpg

IMG_0274_2.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

The pics were taken with my phone so they really don't do the lights justice but IMO it looks great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looks good! I have been contemplating ordering the halos for a couple months now haha. You might have sent me over the edge here

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like from the picture I took that the angel eye isn't defined and glares a bit, but in person theres no glare and it is perfectly defined.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my teraflex table in the other day and finally got some time to put it in. Pretty simple install, They use these crush sleeves that you crush in in the same way a rivet would work, but they are a pain in the butt. You have to try and hold it pressed flush against the door, keep the spacer from twisting and drive the allen screw into it, seems simple but it takes so much force to crush the sleeve that you end up pulling it partially out or bending the sheet metal on the door. The two holes farthest away from the jeep with the door open weren't bad because the metal was thicker, but the two on the inside were a pain. Don't remember what i paid for the table but i think it was over a $100. For that price teraflex should of just sent a rivet gun with the table. The template was simple and dead on, latches on the table are sturdy and tight so no rattling noises, and now that the crush sleeves are in its pretty sturdy. If this ever fails i'll weld two strips of metal over my previous holes (vertical) and just rivet it in, in all the extra holes on the side.
IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after a month or so it has finally arrived!! I kept getting the end of the week slogan, guess the springs didn't come in when they were suppose to, but who cares its here now....stoked

IMG_0287.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts