Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a 2012 Rubi. I am new to off-roading and I am very confused as to which transmission is better. I would love to get a manual but don't know which is best for off-roading.

Does the auto have any benefits that the manual doesn't offer? When off-roading is one better than the other?

·
Marine Jeeper
5,399 Posts
I am looking at getting a 2012 Rubi. I am new to off-roading and I am very confused as to which transmission is better. I would love to get a manual but don't know which is best for off-roading.

Does the auto have any benefits that the manual doesn't offer? When off-roading is one better than the other?
This question has been asked hundreds of time on this forum. There is no simple answer. All of the advice that you will get is going to be somewhat biased because most people will recommend whatever transmission they drive.

So... I love my 6 speed. Most people will tell you that an auto is better for off-road, but I think that a manual just adds an extra little challenge. Some will tell you that you will wear out the clutch too much off road to make it practical, however, depending on the kind of trails you are riding, you may be in 4 low a lot of the time where you don't use the clutch that much.

It's about personal preference. Get what YOU want and not what others recommend. Trust me you will be happier with your choice if it what you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed the 2011 build page shows hill descent control with the auto. Is this available with the manual? Does this change with the 2012 model?

·
Marine Jeeper
5,399 Posts
I noticed the 2011 build page shows hill descent control with the auto. Is this available with the manual? Does this change with the 2012 model?
I don't think manuals need hill descent. You can just drop it into a lower gear and it should essentially do the same thing. I know that my 2010 doesn't have it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Manuals don't need hill descent. Just use 1st or 2nd. The choice comes down to personal preference. Do you want to shift or not. That's basically it. I do think however, you can get a little more out of a 3.8 with a manual. I'm sure it will be the same with the 3.6. There are pros and cons to both. Flip a coin.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
:include: Yet....

:popcorn:

Search my history and you will see why....and it will lead you to a lot of transmission threads. :dance:

·
Marine Jeeper
5,399 Posts
:include: Yet....

:popcorn:

Search my history and you will see why....and it will lead you to a lot of transmission threads. :dance:
:rofl: I was waiting for you to come in here! :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does the Wrangler 6 sp manual have a "hill-stop" type feature for when starting out forward in 1st; to hold the vehicle from rolling backward for a second or two on a steep hill? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Does the Wrangler 6 sp manual have a "hill-stop" type feature for when starting out forward in 1st; to hold the vehicle from rolling backward for a second or two on a steep hill? Thanks.
I think the new ones do. Mine doesn't....but....when you find out that you can let the clutch out with your foot on the brake and then stand on the brake and it will not stop the jeep, THAT, is just as good as the hill assist. I think the best place that hill assist may work is on the road in 2wd on a steep hill. Trail really isn't a problem without hill assist. If the hill is that steep you will be in 4 low and not worried about rolling backwards....unless you want it to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for asking this. I forgot to ask myself. My wife won't let me get the manual unless it has this. I have to say our Honda Pilot has this and it's really nice.

I would rather have the manual but didn't know which was best when rock crawling. I figured the experts could tell me!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I think they started with hill assist in the 09 model. I haven't heard that they have removed that feature since.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 6spd and prefer them. With a manual you can get away with keeping your same gears if/when you get bigger tires. An auto isnt as forgiving with larger tires. The downside to the 6spd is in the deep swampy mud, it isnt a good idea to shift when in it. The debri can get between the plates and cause the clutch to wear out prematurely. Also, the 6spd will get better( mpg's if you drive it that way). I have thought about getting an auto but can't talk myself into it. I havent been able to talk myself into a a JKU either. I would probably get a JKU before i get an auto but never the combo. Just my two lil copper pennies.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Please, please please get the manual. I own a 2012 manual and I just now for the first time experienced what it can Truly do. The auto will not give you the high I'm currently on.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Thanks for that. Hill-Start Assist is what Jeep calls it. I live in a city with some extremely steep hills and am tired of d-bags pulling up to within inches of my rear bumper at lights.
Get a nice solid rear bumper and don't worry about it. Insurance ALWAYS sides with the person who just got rear ended at a stoplight anyway...

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D If it's your first jeep and you're fairly young---

You should get a manual, but

There's really NOTHING I can't do with my auto-that a manual can do and several things I can, that a manual can't-but these are a bit extreme and a first time jeeper should getta manual !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:D If it's your first jeep and you're fairly young---

You should get a manual, but

There's really NOTHING I can't do with my auto-that a manual can do and several things I can, that a manual can't-but these are a bit extreme and a first time jeeper should getta manual !!

OK well I am not young. So start listing what I can't do with a manual! :thumb:

This is my mid life crisis car. It was a choice between a MINI Cooper S or the Jeep Rubicon. Which ever way I go I plan to either race the crap out of it or off-road the hell out of it. Right now I am leaning heavily towards a Jeep. I use to amateur race Miata's so I've been there done that. I live near Uwharrie NC and plan to take classes and conquer Uwharrie!

This was not a newbie stick vs auto question. I've driven sticks all my life and can heel and tow like the best of them. I wanted a serious discussion in regards to off-roading.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Fair questions--

OK well I am not young. So start listing what I can't do with a manual! :thumb:

This is my mid life crisis car. It was a choice between a MINI Cooper S or the Jeep Rubicon. Which ever way I go I plan to either race the crap out of it or off-road the hell out of it. Right now I am leaning heavily towards a Jeep. I use to amateur race Miata's so I've been there done that. I live near Uwharrie NC and plan to take classes and conquer Uwharrie!

This was not a newbie stick vs auto question. I've driven sticks all my life and can heel and tow like the best of them. I wanted a serious discussion in regards to off-roading.

I've driven off-road vehicles for over 50 years, both stick/auto/centrifugal clutch-I've fixed a blown manual at 9000 ft and was able to drive back to civilization in 2nd gear--

I've chosen autos from hipower Dodges to little Ford rangers--

The auto will allow you to change gears/reverse in 4ft of water/mud--can't doit with manual, unless life depends onit

The auto will allow you to change fwd/reverse at speeds upto 5 mph--without gear distress

The auto will allow you to "rock" a buried jeep in deep snow and "backout", without having to dig-

The auto will allow you to "lockup" the travel on a hill, if your engine is dead

My personal-is I'm tired of shifting and changing clutchs and searching for the right gear, halfway upa rock--

Oh, and my wife can't drive a jeep/w manual--I guess that should really be the primary reason-should I have a stroke/heart attack/breaka leg/bit by a bear/attacked by a chipmunk-out in the boonies !!

Thats all for right now-but as has been stated--IT'S PERSONAL CHOICE--

1 - 20 of 104 Posts