Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2012 Rubicon.... Unlimited Warranty

10K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  denisbaldwin 
#1 ·
Yes, I said that right. I'm not talking about a Rubicon Unlimited, I'm talking about an unlimited warranty.

I just ordered a Rubi two days ago, and the salesman offered me a $2,500 Lifetime, non-transferable warranty. Bumper to bumper. I have several reservations about this.

1. Do they do everything in their power to say you voided the warranty using a Jeep like a Jeep was meant to be used?

2. Does Chrysler anticipate they won't be around in another five years? Or is gas supposed to quadruple in price soon? Or do the kings of industry perhaps know of an impending apocalypse and are doing whatever they can to gather resources so the Illuminati can escape the planet on a trillion dollar space ship?

I don't see how this warranty, if it turns out to be 100% completely legit, can be a "good" thing. I mean, that's basically a free car for life, once it's paid off. Let's just say a quarter of new customers buy into this warranty thing.... I mean, imagine the losses Chrysler will be assuming by sticking with this, even if not that many people buy into it!

Does anyone have an illuminating information on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Those warranties are generally provided by third party companies, not Chrysler. It is likely a dealership specific one, where all of the maintenance and repairs must be conducted there.

It will not be much different then buying an extended warranty, just ask to see the paperwork and really read the fine print.

#5 ·
Geico also offers a "parts and labor/mechanical" option on their insurance polices, that basically act like a warranty. It winds out at about $7 a month, and no matter what your deductible is, the deductible on mechanical failure is just $250. That's a pretty sweet deal too, if you ask me.

#6 ·
Here's more Pat@FieldsJeep info on Chrysler's aftermarket warranties:

I don't even suggest the Added Care, either do a powertrain or go all the way and get the Max care.

Max care with $100 deductible has a cost of $1700 and as stated $3100 retail.

My forum prices

Lifetime Powertrain $785 with $100 deductible
Lifetime Max Care $2200 with $100 deductible

These are my no haggle prices, I'm sure some of you can and have done better, but I am doing it just like I do it with the sale price of the new vehicle. It's a no BS deal.
If you are talking about Lifetime Max Care, you're dealer is not too far off of Pat's forum price, which we know is as fair as it gets. So you might be able to negotiate a little better price for yourself...

#9 ·
If you are talking about Lifetime Max Care, you're dealer is not too far off of Pat's forum price, which we know is as fair as it gets.
hmm.. not sure in this case..I have got lifetime maxcare quote for $1900 with $100 deductible from : CHRYSLER SERVICE CONTRACTS: Extended Warranties from Chrysler. SAVE 60%! Quick Quotes. Buy Online.

I have also seen other posts in this forum where someone got the same for $1800 from the dealer.

I think anything above $2K for the lifetime warranty is too high.

#7 ·
I got the Max Care from Chrysler for my new Rubicon last month. I'm going to retire next year and this will be the last jeep I will buy so for me I think it's a good deal. I paid $2,273.
If you don't plan on it pretty much being your last Jeep I would get something cheaper. Since the Max Care warranty is not transferable Chrysler is betting you don't keep the Jeep forever and will make money on the deal.
My wife is also retiring next year and we have the Max Care on her Grand Cherokee also.
Once we retire I only have to worry about paying for maintenance on the Jeeps. :thumb:

#10 ·
I still don't understand how they can reasonably fulfill their promise though. I mean, the lifetime warranty craze on rifle scopes almost destroyed that entire market. How can a major car manufacturer, let alone a single dealer, agree to pay for stuff that WILL eventually need replacement? Is the hope that people will trade their vehicles in and void the warranty? It's gotta be that.

#11 ·
I bought my jeep from a giant dealer that sells gmc, jeep and ford. I was offered an extended bumper to bumper warranty through gm on my Jeep. The dealer said it was a far superior contract that also covers leaks compared to the chrysler extended warranty. I still have the basic 60,000 mile chrysler stuff with lifetime jeep powertrain warranty, but once that 60k expires, im still covered by my gm extended plan through to 100k or six years, so im tickled.

#12 ·
I don't see how this warranty, if it turns out to be 100% completely legit, can be a "good" thing. I mean, that's basically a free car for life, once it's paid off. Let's just say a quarter of new customers buy into this warranty thing.... I mean, imagine the losses Chrysler will be assuming by sticking with this, even if not that many people buy into it!

This info. may not be exactly illuminating ;) ..but its not really a free car for life. There are some obvious exceptions to this lifetime coverage mainly the 'wear and tear' parts that FOR SURE will need replacement probably multiple times. Some of those are : Wear items such as manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and belts. Also excluded items are : Glass, Plastic Lenses
Body and Paint Items, Including Soft Trim
Paint Peal, Fabric Tears
Tune-Ups, Oil Changes
Modified Parts
Aftermarket Parts

Apart from that, I think they bank upon the majority who don't keep it for more than say 10 years.

#13 ·
This info. may not be exactly illuminating ;) ..but its not really a free car for life. There are some obvious exceptions to this lifetime coverage mainly the 'wear and tear' parts that FOR SURE will need replacement probably multiple times. Some of those are : Wear items such as manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and belts. Also excluded items are : Glass, Plastic Lenses
Body and Paint Items, Including Soft Trim
Paint Peal, Fabric Tears
Tune-Ups, Oil Changes
Modified Parts
Aftermarket Parts

Apart from that, I think they bank upon the majority who don't keep it for more than say 10 years.
Yep. Trust me, the policy provider KNOWS it will make money on average. It might lose money on a minority of policy holders, but it will more-than recoup that from the majority of others. Insurance companies only lose money when there is a catastrophic local event, but that's just a local issue. That means that most people who pay for any type of insurance or warranty are losing money. Now, covering things like your medical health and your real estate from catastrophic events is a costly annoyance worth tolerating because you might not have any recourse other than insurance. But when you pay for an optional warranty or insurance your gambling on whether or not you will have trouble. Trust me: for everyone with a warranty or insurance polic who ends up ahead, there are more who end up behind. Otherwise, companies would not provide warranties or insurance. And the fact that many car salesmen push their extended warantees sooo hard to the point of angering vehicle buyers, is because the providers (who give them commissions) make soooooooo much $money$ on average.

So, beyond any reasonable doubt, for every person who says, "Dang, I'm sooo glad I bought that expensive extended warranty on my fragile Jaguar," there are many more who pay more than they get back.

And since I figured I was going to mod my Rubi into a Robo-transformer-4x4, I figured the equation would be even worse for me with all the exclusions.

#15 ·
I am picking my 2012 Rubicon up tomorrow.

I am picking up my 2012 Rubicon tomorrow and they have already offered me the lifetime warranty also. They are talking $3100.00. The caveat is that you have to purchase it when you pick the vehicle up. You cannot buy it after the sale. I will let you know the results of my transaction tomorrow. If this is available it is a no-brainer. SIGN ME UP.

#19 ·
I'm in the same position as I might be picking my JKU-R tomorrow and they told me the same today about having to buy the warranty ON the day of delivery and not after.

I would be HAPPY to buy an extended warranty just before the 5/100k warranty expires

Could anyone please explain?

thanks,
C

#20 ·
Jeep website - FAQ on extended warranties from Chrysler....

"Q: When can I purchase a Chrysler Service Contract?

"A: New Vehicle Service Contracts can be purchased anytime within 4 years and 48,000 miles of the vehicle's warranty start date (the date the vehicle was delivered to its original owner). Surcharges may apply after 1 year or 12,000 miles."

That surcharge line is bunk... I didn't buy an extended warranty, and I have gotten several emails offering me reduced prices.

Don't buy it from the dealer unless he will meet or beat the best online price you can find....

Don't buy at all, unless you start having real doubts about the longevity of your Jeep....

#22 ·
If you get one, don't buy from Ziegler!

So I after researching these contracts and determining that they are legit, I bought one from what I thought was a reputable provider: Chrysler Factory Plans (i.e., Howard Ziegler).

I bought mine (maxcare, lifetime) in December 2011. They charged my card immediately. Nonetheless, they never issued the policy!

I sent numerous emails requesting information and received no replies -- even after I warned them that I would post my experience in the Jeep forums.

Ultimately, I had to challenge the charge with my credit card company.

There are other providers out there. Don't be duped into using Ziegler.

Be warned!

#23 ·
Not sure about your problem with Harold (not Howard) Ziegler warranty. I bought the Max Care Lifetime as well for $2000 in Oct 11. The policy was sent to me in a couple of weeks. I brought it to my local dealership (not where I ordered/bought the 2012 jkur) for first oil change. Showed them the policy (which includes some FREE oil changes which according to the policy MUST be used ). The oil change was paid by the policy. Local dealership said warranty was fine.

#24 ·
Picking up my new unlimited rubicon tomorrow (with 720 nav) and they offered me the lifetime warranty for $3495. Buy or not? And is it negotiable and what have you paid for your, either from dealer or somewhere else. Please help!!! Thanks in advance and sorry for the all the caps but i'm not retyping this since i stink at typing!

#25 ·
The price changes depending on who you talk to. I talked to Chrysler on the phone and was quated $3100. You can get a cheaper package.

///////////////////////////////////////////
Life is an adventure, get on or stop bitching. :banghead:

#26 ·
Yep. There is a provision that if the cost to repair your vehicle exceeds it's value at the time of failure, then they will pay you that value and the contract terminates.

So say your 15 year old, lifetime-warrantied Jeep throws a rod. Chances are you won't be getting a new engine, but rather a couple thousand dollars to to buy you out of your contact.

Of course, Wranglers hold their value better than most (all?) other vehicles, so the point at which the warranty terminates will be a lot further away than if you had say, a Dodge Caliber.

I think the warranty is still not a bad idea, but I would only buy one for a Wrangler and only if I intended on keeping it until it was no longer serviceable.

#29 ·
I have a brochure for this. My dealer also made me aware of this warranty. It IS[/i] a Chrysler FACTORY warranty and it's called the "Max Care." My dealership offered it to me for $2600. It also has a $100 deductible attached to it for every time you bring the vehicle in.

It is NOT a "free car for life." If you need a new $5,000 engine and your vehicle is worth $3,000, they will give you a check for the value of your vehicle ($3,000) and cancel your coverage.
Depending on how well my Jeep holds up within the first year of so of ownership, I will base my decision on whether I'd be willing to purchase the Max Care package.

Pick yourself up a brochure at your dealership and read the fine print. The Max Care warranty is useable at any Chrysler dealership.

#31 ·
My wife's Mazda3 got the same deal... lifetime warranty on every part except brakes, wipers, oil, tires and gasoline. Covers all other moving/electrical/etc. parts. Only good as long as she owns the car.. so our plan is to drive it until it gets to 250k and then I'm going to use it for auto cross.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.