Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a lifted Wrangler. I dont know to much about them though. Could I get some opinions on this deal. 1 owner, clean carfax. Very clean. 1 small ding other than that the body is clean. Tires look like half the tread is left. Only 10k on the Jeep. Do the tires usually wear that fast? I dont know what type of lift is on it. Runs good. Tracks and rides good. Tires are a bit loud. I got the dealer down to 28990.00. What do you guys think?

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I've always wanted a lifted Wrangler. I dont know to much about them though........
Stop right there....

You have a lot of research to do, and a lot of questions to ask yourself before you plop 30 grand down on a used vehicle.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Welcome but there are a lot of question to be asked here like a lot. How much lift? What size tires? What kind of lift? It doesn't sound bad but you don't know who put the lift on and if they really have al the parts for it. Why would someone get rid of a rubicon at 10000 miles? Are you going to be offroading? Do you know what a rubicon means and what the options is has does?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Lucy Brown said:
I've always wanted a lifted Wrangler. I dont know to much about them though. Could I get some opinions on this deal. 1 owner, clean carfax. Very clean. 1 small ding other than that the body is clean. Tires look like half the tread is left. Only 10k on the Jeep. Do the tires usually wear that fast? I dont know what type of lift is on it. Runs good. Tracks and rides good. Tires are a bit loud. I got the dealer down to 28990.00. What do you guys think?

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD
You can get a new one for that price. Not lifted though.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
not worth it IMO

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
You can get a new one for that price. Not lifted though.
and are you certain you want a rubicon? you could get a brand new 13 sport 2dr and build it up for less or similar to that amount

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome but there are a lot of question to be asked here like a lot. How much lift? What size tires? What kind of lift? It doesn't sound bad but you don't know who put the lift on and if they really have al the parts for it. Why would someone get rid of a rubicon at 10000 miles? Are you going to be offroading? Do you know what a rubicon means and what the options is has does?

I did wonder why somebody would get rid of a 2012 with 10k on it. I looked it over really well and it's got a clean carfax so there is nothing obviously wrong with it. What are the pros and cons to having a Rubicon vs say a sport model?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
What do you think its worth? A new one with the same options is 33920 built on the the Jeep site without the lift and tires obviously.
that's MSRP. The invoice for that amount is about 31,800. You pay 1% less than that with tread lightly and any negotiating beyond that can get you that same one brand new for around 31k.

if you don't know why you want a rubicon, don't get one, it's a total waste if you're not going to use the features. the sport is very capable off road and better on road. the main difference being that the rubi has lockers, different rims/tires, sway bar disconnects, shiny trim, rock rails, and shocks/springs. The rubicon package also opens up additional options that the sahara also has.

the other reason that wrangler might have been sold is if the owner had ticking and a cylinder head replacement and wasn't happy.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you offroad? And if you have to ask that question you don't need one. Get a brand new sport for 24-25
I will offroad if and when I get a Jeep. I have in the past. It would be something I would be interested in doing again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's MSRP. The invoice for that amount is about 31,800. You pay 1% less than that with tread lightly and any negotiating beyond that can get you that same one brand new for around 31k.

if you don't know why you want a rubicon, don't get one, it's a total waste if you're not going to use the features. the sport is very capable off road and better on road. the main difference being that the rubi has lockers, different rims/tires, sway bar disconnects, shiny trim, rock rails, and shocks/springs. The rubicon package also opens up additional options that the sahara also has.

the other reason that wrangler might have been sold is if the owner had ticking and a cylinder head replacement and wasn't happy.
Just looked that up. Thanks. I assume with the vin# I could find out if anything has ever been done to the head.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
i have a bad feeling about that jeep. it's not even barely a year old, if that, and it looks pretty used. have you looked underneath? i bet it was wheeled. the engine bay is dirty and there's an air freshener in the vent (probably a smoker or they got water inside it). soft top looks scratched.

also the TPMS light is on, so it probably means those new tires don't have TPMS installed. Also the big logo on the window... wouldn't you rather buy a virgin jeep without the worry of what happened before? the price is so close for a new one...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have a bad feeling about that jeep. it's not even barely a year old, if that, and it looks pretty used. have you looked underneath? i bet it was wheeled. the engine bay is dirty and there's an air freshener in the vent (probably a smoker or they got water inside it). soft top looks scratched.

also the TPMS light is on, so it probably means those new tires don't have TPMS installed. Also the big logo on the window... wouldn't you rather buy a virgin jeep without the worry of what happened before? the price is so close for a new one...
Yeah, you're probably right with your bad feeling. Jeep was purchased in March and traded in September. Thats a red flag but it's not uncommon for people to do that. I did notice the light when I test drove it and assumed that the new tires never got the sensors installed. Why the hell would you go through the trouble of doing all that work and not put new sensors on it?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Lot of dust on that engine cover and the battery, might want to inspect the intake and filter. Also see if he had an aftermarket one on before (look at the bolts and screws etc for usage).

Also check the axle ratio 4.10 or 3.73

Is there a Jeep dealer on that block or in the area, take it to them and check if there is ticking if you can't hear it. Check the door the sticker with data on it will give the mfg date

KBB shows excellent conditon certified @ $32K private party from excellent $29.8 to fair $25.8.

They obviously want to get rid of it they're not even a Jeep dealer. Since some people here are claiming to get a 2013 Rubicon brand new at this asking price, tell them that when discussing (print out data to prove the point). Tell them what they told the poor guy who traded it in, that the lift and wheels and tires add no value to it, so you're negotating on a stock set up period.

You'll consider to help them @ 25.000 not a penny more, out the door subject to a jeep dealer inspection. :cool:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lot of dust on that engine cover and the battery, might want to inspect the intake and filter. Also see if he had an aftermarket one on before (look at the bolts and screws etc for usage).

Also check the axle ratio 4.10 or 3.73

Is there a Jeep dealer on that block or in the area, take it to them and check if there is ticking if you can't hear it. Check the door the sticker with data on it will give the mfg date

KBB shows excellent conditon certified @ $32K private party from excellent $29.8 to fair $25.8.

They obviously want to get rid of it they're not even a Jeep dealer. Since some people here are claiming to get a 2013 Rubicon brand new at this asking price, tell them that when discussing (print out data to prove the point). Tell them what they told the poor guy who traded it in, that the lift and wheels and tires add no value to it, so you're negotating on a stock set up period.

You'll consider to help them @ 25.000 not a penny more, out the door subject to a jeep dealer inspection. :cool:

Thanks for your advice. It's greatly appreciated. I called a Jeep dealer and gave them the vin and no warrenty work has been done on it. Thats all they could tell me. This Toyota dealer has had the Jeep for at least a month according to the carfax report so I'm sure they want to move it. They even tried to convince me that somebody else is interested in it so I should hurry up and make up my mind. Gotta love the stealerships. Ir I do consider the purchase I'll stick to the 25k and not a penny more advice. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.