Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think having the tire pressure (from dealer) at 40 PSI after 10 miles of driving at 60 degrees air temp would cause a slight vibration at lower speeds? Just checked (don't ask why I haven't yet) and adjusted to 37 PSI since I had just finished driving it. The door says 35 cold. Or should I just take her down to 35?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ok, been having a little vibration at lower speeds and checked the tire pressure and it was damn near 40 psi from the dealer. Looked at the door and said 35 psi cold. Now question is. Is that cold ambient air temp or cold tires as in not driven any? Its about 63 degrees out and I just got finish driving about 10 miles on it. I've air them down to 37 since I just drove it and the outside temp. Should I just go ahead and take them down to 35 psi? Hopefully this will take away the low speed vibration being that the tires aren't as stiff.....
Willing to be they will be at 35 once cold :)

DB

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Willing to be they will be at 35 once cold :)

DB
Yeah, that's what I was thinking by leaving them at 37. I guess I could quit being lazy and check after they cool down.....

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I always check my tires cold either in the garage after they sat overnight, a bit overkill, or outside first thing in the morning before the sun can warm them up, regardless of the outside air temp. Of course, your pressure can change throughout the day regardless of whether you're rolling or not. I just try to stick with an am check throughout the year. I still don't think you should have a vibration at 40lbs, but maybe the stock Sahara tires might do that. Not sure on that one. Once you set them at 35 cold you'll know. Low speed vibration could be a number of things. I just never heard of pressure a few lbs over causing it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
BTW you have 32" tires. The WHEELS are 18".

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Pressure might rise 5 degrees cold to warm but that's very unlikely to be your cause of vibration at slowe speeds. It could be a lot of things including suspension, ujoints, wheel weights - since yours is new ask the dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pressure might rise 5 degrees cold to warm but that's very unlikely to be your cause of vibration at slowe speeds. It could be a lot of things including suspension, ujoints, wheel weights - since yours is new ask the dealer to look at it.
I did. They basically said that the drive train was ok and that something (non-specific) was off by 1/2 inch in the front end. They then asked me if I wanted to pay for an alignment on a 1700 mile new Jeep. I'm taking it to another stealership since its only been offroad once and that was on a dirt road that was dry and my wifes Volvo car could drive down......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts