Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a 2012 Wrangler Sport. When I take it off the lot I want to put Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Black Wheels and MTZ radials on. Can I put these on factory? I know the bolt pattern is 5x5, so that means I have to go with a 17x9 wheel. What tire do I use to keep it factory? If I can't keep it factory, do I need to lift? spacers? other things I don't know about?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm looking into buying a 2012 Wrangler Sport. When I take it off the lot I want to put Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Black Wheels and MTZ radials on. Can I put these on factory? I know the bolt pattern is 5x5, so that means I have to go with a 17x9 wheel. What tire do I use to keep it factory? If I can't keep it factory, do I need to lift? spacers? other things I don't know about?
Why do you "have" to go with 17x9-inch wheels with a 5x5 bolt pattern? I'm running 16x8's, and many JKers run 15x8's. All, shockingly, in 5x5 bolt patterns.

It'll save you a ton of $$ to buy 15" rims and tires, which combined will cost you LESS than buying tires for 17" rims alone. Your choice. Make sure your rims have a backspacing of 4.5" or less (smaller the #, the farther your tires will stick out).

Also, check with DTD (forum vendor) re wheel fitment if you decide to go with the 15's. Most alloys in that size will fit; many of the steelies won't.

Stock tires on the Sport are 29". I'm not sure if MT even makes a tire in this size...seriously doubt it. You can go up to 33" tires without adding a lift, but offroading you may get some tire rub on the fenders. Adding a simple spacer lift or TeraFlex leveling kit (to fix your Jeep's rake) would solve this problem.

Your speedometer will be off with the larger tire size, but it will minimal if you stick with the 33's or under.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks!! I think it'll be easier to find something else I like than going with MT
Mickey Thompson has nice tires, don't get me wrong. But they're pretty expensive.

Take a look at Goodyear DuraTracs (LOT of peeps run those), BFG, Cooper, Hankook...tons of em out there.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
The reasoning by the 17x9 is because the classic lock black with a 5x5 pattern only comes in 17x9.
Ah, gotcha. My apologies...sounded like you thought that only the 17x9's came in 5x5, which is obviously not the case. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts