Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My wrangler didn't come with factory installed tow hitch. And I wanted to install one myself if its easy enough (not comfortable operating a drill myself on my new Jeep, but nuts and bolts are all okay). Was wondering if you have suggestions about which brand hitch to buy, their quality etc. I dont' have anything heavy to tow; this would be used for mostly making trips to Ikea etc..

Though, I do feel like renting a motorboat in the summer, and taking it out for spin on a lake :dance:

Thanks!
-mrjn

·
Registered
315 Posts
All the holes are already drilled in the rear cross member for a hitch so its an easy bolt on. I did mine in like 10 min.
Look at the sites mentioned above or there are always new Mopar take offs on ebay for $100 or so.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey guys,

My wrangler didn't come with factory installed tow hitch. And I wanted to install one myself if its easy enough (not comfortable operating a drill myself on my new Jeep, but nuts and bolts are all okay). Was wondering if you have suggestions about which brand hitch to buy, their quality etc. I dont' have anything heavy to tow; this would be used for mostly making trips to Ikea etc..

Though, I do feel like renting a motorboat in the summer, and taking it out for spin on a lake :dance:

Thanks!
-mrjn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are also take off's on craigslist for anywhere from $25-$50.
I just picked one up last week. Now I need a wiring harness. Found one of those on Amazon for a good price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wao, thanks for the quick replies guys! This sounds easy enough :).

-mrjn

P.S. Not an Ikea fan, they're just cheaper at times :whistling:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would go with a class 3. The class 1 hitches are for Prius's and elements. If you go with a class 3 then you can add things like bike carriers, cargo racks, and D ring mounts. Think of it more like a universal mounting point. Go big or get it ripped off.

case in point: i use a cargo rack that says it can hold 500 lbs. the max TW on the class 1 is 200 lbs, class 3 is 600.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I tried to install Hidden Hitch's Class III receiver. Had 2 issues: one the muffler was forbidding a proper alignment of the bolts; two, when I put the bolt in for whichever side of the receiver, the other side wouldn't line up :banghead:. Tried for like an hour to get it in place, but couldn't get it to work; things would have been easier if I could somehow get the muffler removed from there. Buts it looks like welded to the chassis.. Any ideas what could help here?

·
Registered
146 Posts
if the holes don't line up thats a Chrysler problem take it to the dealer . as for the muffler I had also no problem with that .

OP make sure what ever hitch you get the wiring is with it .

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Just pop the muffler out of the hanger and it will drop down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Another weekend, and I was banging my head against the hitch trying to figure why my bolts just won't go in. My wife was already angry about not going out, again (after last weekend's futile action), and suddenly had this "brilliant" idea of removing the back factory installed plastic bumper to get a better view (doh!!). And soon enough, figured that the welding that was done on the back metal bumper caused metal to protrude out a bit, and hence the hitch wasn't able to go fully in. There's no way I'd have guessed this if I hadn't removed the plastic bumper.

Didn't have a welder or grinder or anything; so took it to an auto shop. 10 minutes and a couple of talks later, a mechanic was happily chipping away the extra metal for free! (really nice owner in Sunnyvale, CA). The hitch went happily in place after that.

Feels awesome, my first ever installation :). Thanks guys for all the advice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On other SUVs like the Porsche Cayenne, special programming has to be done by the dealer to turn on the anti-sway function. What about the JK's trailer sway control function?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
On other SUVs like the Porsche Cayenne, special programming has to be done by the dealer to turn on the anti-sway function. What about the JK's trailer sway control function?
It's not available unless you order the tow package from the factory.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been contemplating this whole situation as well. First I called quadratec to get the class rating on one of the Smittybuilt bumpers cause I thought, I might as well get a bumper if I'm going to spend the money on the hitch cause the hitch is in the bumper right? Yes it is, but those bumpers are not rated to tow anything. I called the dealer to get a quote on having them put one on with a trans cooler (I'm towing my pop up camper, about 3000lbs) and he said $420 and a half a day for installation because they have to....lol....."reflash my computer to reset my vin number to accept the wiring harness so that the lights work". I laughed, crapped my pants and thought about thrashing the guy but in the end, didn't really know what to do. It's mentally tough for me to trust the hitch showed above to hold up to 3,500lbs with four small bolts. Oh, and Daggo is right (as usual) about dropping the exhaust, look up the installation on youtube. Anybody got any suggestions? Please

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's mentally tough for me to trust the hitch showed above to hold up to 3,500lbs with four small bolts.
The bolts for the hitch weren't small actually, they were quite long, all right at the attachment. But, the bumper itself was attached by 6 really small bolts, 4 of them were on the sides, and only 2 close to the middle. Knowing this, I'd distrust the bumper hitches more than the hitch I installed, lol!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The bolts for the hitch weren't small actually, they were quite long, all right at the attachment. But, the bumper itself was attached by 6 really small bolts, 4 of them were on the sides, and only 2 close to the middle. Knowing this, I'd distrust the bumper hitches more than the hitch I installed, lol!
I take it that since the tow hitch is installed over the cross member, the load is not on the bolts so four long bolts would be sufficient.

On another note, I was looking at the Hidden Hitch instructions and it calls for the removal of the OEM tow hook. Is it in the way so you lose the hook when you put the hitch on? Doesn't the factory setup have both?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's not available unless you order the tow package from the factory.
If you guys are thinking of towing 3000 pounds+, wouldn't the lack of trailer sway control be a concern? Or is there be any way to get the dealer to turn that portion of the factory ESP software on or load that program onto the ESP system?
Since the car comes with ESP, all the hardware is already there, aftermarket chip programmers like Superchip should incorporate such a function in their programmer, if it doesn't have one already.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts